Another question from new kayaker

How/where do you carry your phone, wallet and keys when kayak fishing?  In pfd pockets?  In dry bag in hatch?  Appreciate thoughts.

If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. But, if you teach a man to fish, he will spend all his money on fishing tackle and won't be able to afford to eat!

23 mins ago, Thumb-Burner said:

How/where do you carry your phone, wallet and keys when kayak fishing?  In pfd pockets?  In dry bag in hatch?  Appreciate thoughts.

Keys on a lanyard on my neck under my drysuit in cold weather. In warmer weather i keep phone and keys in dry pouches connected to my PFD.  I wouldn't leave your keys anywhere not connected to you in case you loose your yak at least you can get home.

That little center hatch on your boat would be ideal. I put my phone, keys and wallet in a peanut butter jar and put that into the hatch. Never seen a drop of water in there even after flipping in the surf. 

I used to to keep my car key on my person and the rest of my keys, wallet and phone in my car. Ahh the days of being young, dumb and care free...

I think the idea of having the car key on your person is a good one. I may have to revisit that one. I’m frequently in and out of my vest pockets since I carry a knife, pliers and a hook cutter, so the neck lanyard sounds ideal. 

I keep my keys and wallet in a dry bag in the hull, never need those while your out there but no where else to put them. I have my cell phone around my neck in one of those water proof cell phone bags with lanyard, nice and convenient for pictures or to take a call or listen to music and I typically tuck it in my life jacket.

11 hours ago, youngsalt said:

That little center hatch on your boat would be ideal. I put my phone, keys and wallet in a peanut butter jar and put that into the hatch. Never seen a drop of water in there even after flipping in the surf. 

How do you keep the peanut butter jar from sliding all around the inside of the hatch?

If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. But, if you teach a man to fish, he will spend all his money on fishing tackle and won't be able to afford to eat!

I built a bulk head in the hatch out of pool noodles. I zip tied the pool noodles together to create a barrier so the objects in the hatch stay in the hatch and don’t slide under the deck. I connected the pool noodles to the inside of the kayak with zip ties also. Good luck and be safe.

32 mins ago, Thumb-Burner said:

How do you keep the peanut butter jar from sliding all around the inside of the hatch?

2 mins ago, dbjpb said:

I built a bulk head in the hatch out of pool noodles. I zip tied the pool noodles together to create a barrier so the objects in the hatch stay in the hatch and don’t slide under the deck. I connected the pool noodles to the inside of the kayak with zip ties also. Good luck and be safe.

This^^^^

The pool noodle also provides a little bit of flotation if your boat springs a leak

Edited by youngsalt

Dry case for the phone, though I don't always take it. I leave my wallet and real keys in the car, and have a "dumb key" on a mini coil leash in a PFD pocket.  In decades of kayaking both WW and salt, I've very rarely heard of cars at launches being broken into. On rare occasion if I'm sketched out I'll put the wallet in one of the many decent hiding spots a minivan offers that anyone low functioning enough to break into a car looking for loot will not bother to find.

4 hours ago, gellfex said:

Dry case for the phone, though I don't always take it. I leave my wallet and real keys in the car, and have a "dumb key" on a mini coil leash in a PFD pocket.  In decades of kayaking both WW and salt, I've very rarely heard of cars at launches being broken into. On rare occasion if I'm sketched out I'll put the wallet in one of the many decent hiding spots a minivan offers that anyone low functioning enough to break into a car looking for loot will not bother to find.

Good to know.

IMG_20190402_175716.jpg

KFA-NY

Kayak Wars/Team Fishing Lab

Yellow Eyed Devils

(*member formerly known as ''rick smithtown)

5 dollar water proof box from walmart similar to pelican 1010 case which isn't totally water proof and atleast double in price.

If you aren't fishing on the edge, you are probably blocking the channel.

1 hour ago, Spelunker said:

I suggest your prison pocket. Plenty of space and water tight. Plus the added enjoyment of loading and unloading.

Maybe your prison pocket is spacious, mine has an ‘exit only’ one way door, lol

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.