bran_dj

Low budget grommetizer

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Reading many of the old threads on here, I found East End Lu's trick to bend grommets to fit the belly of the plug, his grommetizer. Thread: 

Unable to machine one of these myself, I tried this:

Obtain a dowel of the proportions of your plug (this worked great for me since I'm making the plugs from these dowels).

Drill a hole the size of the grommet in the plug (I've got two here, one for a previous grommet size).

You'll also need a pair of pliers and a hammer. Oh and a grommet. 

IMG_3585.JPG.07f91f1fd55b3614ec0ec876c60378f4.JPG

Okay so next, put your grommet in the hole, grip one side of it with your pliers and hold them together.

IMG_3586.JPG.3beaabcb93e8aa73fdc6e2388babe743.JPG

Then you want to use your hammer, tapping the free side down slightly to bend it. Keep hammering and switch sides so you can get it bent around the dowel so it fits snugly.

IMG_3589.JPG.b082235662dd17d927d8c5247f7cf8d3.JPG

With me so far? It's pretty easy, of course you're messing up your dowel / grommetizer but you can always drill another hole if it gets too banged up / loose.

IMG_3597.JPG.b8ebe801f9be9dbb1af8b5ede13da589.JPG

Hey that looks pretty good. Let's see how it fits!

IMG_3598.JPG.9036f011e2e1bdde6d0cf5e8248c6589.JPG

I'll take it. 

So that's my way of making East End Lu's grommetizer with scraps from my plugs. 

Edited by bran_dj

I did something similar using a drilled piece of heavy wall aluminum tubing. The thing I wanted to share was to use a rubber mallet instead of a hammer. It forms to the dowel without crushing the edges of the grommet.

I can’t take credit for mine as I saw it on here somewhere. The grommet goes into the dowel and I flip it upside down into the pvc. This way there is no metal on grommet contact. Works for me.  

4887E5C6-3AAA-4AEB-94D4-53F2D707B318.jpeg

36FAAEC4-1AE0-4F85-96BA-F52BF210D633.jpeg

Edited by mrscott24
Add details

16 hours ago, mrscott24 said:

I can’t take credit for mine as I saw it on here somewhere. The grommet goes into the dowel and I flip it upside down into the pvc. This way there is no metal on grommet contact. Works for me.  

4887E5C6-3AAA-4AEB-94D4-53F2D707B318.jpeg

36FAAEC4-1AE0-4F85-96BA-F52BF210D633.jpeg

Nice, great solution! Hard to tell from the pics, but do the dowels fit inside that smaller hole in the PVC?

How do you apply pressure to it to get the bend, just turn them? 

Edited by bran_dj

On 4/4/2019 at 2:33 PM, bran_dj said:

Nice, great solution! Hard to tell from the pics, but do the dowels fit inside that smaller hole in the PVC?

How do you apply pressure to it to get the bend, just turn them? 

No the dowel just sit where the two larger diameter ones rest.  You put the grommet it, turn them 180 degrees so the grommet touches the pvc and bang the top of the dowel with a hammer to slightly bend the grommet.  The pvc bends are glued into the 2x4 base.