flyfishvt

Fly rod grip tape

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

About carbon fiber grips:

I bought the CFX carbon fiber kit when it first came out in 2017. It comes with everything you need to make one full two piece fly rod grip, and not much more, maybe an extra fighting butt.

I am a much better grip turner now than I was in 2017, and I've probably turned over two dozen grips on a lathe now. But I do remember the foam to be a million times easier to turn than cork. It took minutes to have a completely finished grip turned, cork takes me hours.

The issue I had was applying the sleeve, and I ended up with wrinkles on the ends, and the fiber wasnt straight. I think my issue was too little epoxy, but for anyones first attempt with it I would highly recommend buying enough material to do a second attempt.

The carbon fiber grips are going to be hard as a rock. Whether or not you want that is up to you, but they are rock solid, and noticeably lighter. I just threw out the old grip, I should have weighed it.

Hi Matt

my problem with my first attempt turning the insulation foam was to find the right pressure application when sanding the pink foam insulation after the rings are glue with gorila. Basically the 220 g sand paper  melts the foam if I don’t move quick and light press over the foam at all times,( use respiratory mask or any vacuum system )

Wonder if there is other foam insulation heat resistant options besides the foam from CFX kit.

The carbon handle kit works on my kid 5 weight, is rew finish just one coat epoxy, it  need to be custom for him so it’s not under the standards. 

I don’t know what the chances are for others, but  I find out by accident that it becomes very slippery once I put UV protector cream on my kid face before I went out to fish, either way it was oils in the water we fish or I didn’t wash my hands well enough before getting in to fishing, but Matt the grip was slipping off my hand to the point I have to put him a glove. My two cents.

Viete

104BEC89-6B4F-4744-B492-7CB0AFCEDB6A.jpeg

E10E9FEE-BB75-4480-A292-B52F5344A159.jpeg

SMS

You Comp guys have been through the whole card of options. I love how you guys innovate and adapt and are prepared to try new stuff.

mike

On 4/1/2019 at 4:28 PM, Gilbey said:

I use hockey tape. When it gets slick or dirty I add another layer. After a few layers I peal it off and start again. A $3 roll lasts a long time. 

that doesn't chafe the crap out of your hands?  I've played hockey and that tape is not great on a bare hand.

Nope.  Not at all. I am very happy with the way it feels even when wet or in cold conditions. Never an issue at all chaffing my hands even after 3-4 hour casting sessions.  YMMV

On 4/3/2019 at 0:41 PM, sms said:

Self amalgamating tape is also used.

Not sure what you mean but I use 3M rubber electrical tape (no adhesive) that sticks to itself and molds to the shape of the handle. Tried this on an old glass 8w and then broke the rod last fall on a foul-hooked salmon but it was quite comfy while it lasted. Much better than the old dry crumbling cork. 

Do you wrap the tape right on the rod blank or do you use some kind of wrap underneath the tape?

BTW, self-amalgamating tape is a great way to fix all kinds of leaky pipes - it really works.

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, smath said:

Do you wrap the tape right on the rod blank or do you use some kind of wrap underneath the tape?

BTW, self-amalgamating tape is a great way to fix all kinds of leaky pipes - it really works.

I have seen the cork handles been wrapped. Also I have read warnings that cork rots if it gets wet under taping and there should be no sense to wrap good cork but worn out cork handle should serve a season or two with grip tape.

Taping the thin blank alone would require too much tape to bring diameter up! I plan to build foam handle and use laminating epoxy and either glassfiber cloth or class fiber braid tube to have seamless construction and tape it to improve grip. If it works then possibly I use carbon fiber braid tube or carbon cloth it it saves weight?

Esa

Edited by crunch

23 hours ago, smath said:

I wrapped it around the old cork that was falling off in pieces. The result was kinda lumpy but not bad. Just keeping the old stick usable until it snapped on me, which was my own damn fault.