flyfishvt

Fly rod grip tape

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

The cork on one of my rods had gotten pretty chewed up and I've filled in the holes/gaps so it's smooth and functional but really looks trashed.  I'd also like something a little softer to grip....easier on my arthritic hands.  Last year I tried a Winn grip over wrap that worked for a while, looked and felt great, but unraveled after a long rainy saltwater session.  I've recently seen heatshrink grip tubing that seems OK...anyone have experience with these???

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think the Winn Grip stuff is just about as good as anything but it doesn't last forever.  Just replace as needed - it's only $10 roll.  Too add softness and may help with the arthritis - is put the new right on top of the old and build it up a bit.

Edited by Cpalms

Winn sells a full Wells grip, you could carefully remove the old one and try one of those out. Pretty sure Angler's Workshop has them...

I use hockey tape. When it gets slick or dirty I add another layer. After a few layers I peal it off and start again. A $3 roll lasts a long time. 

Heat shrink is not great for fly handles but it does not cost much to try it out.

Be careful  how soft you go. Soft grips can cause more probs than a firm one.

They cause  loss of feel and power and can cause cramp.

mike.

I have used tennis racket tape which is thinner and has more friction and bicycle handle tape which is softer and does not have gluey incredient so it is closer to cork. Both have felt so good that I have planned to build a carbon fiber coated foam handle to my next distance competition rod.

Esa

Esa   Where do you get the carbon fiber coated foam?  Are they like Eva grips? 

any pictures?   thanks ccb

Posted (edited) · Report post

I will make it myself. lt require only forming the foam (for example dow corning styrofoam insulate) and best but most expensive should come pulling carbon fiber tubing over and then wetting with epoxy. Perhaps I make first using glass fiber cloth coating?

They have been around already perhaps 20 years. First I read about them on custor rod building forum. Only epoxy is slippery when it gets wet but grip tape use should make it better?

Esa

Edited by crunch

I just saw one of these on the large auction site, looks interesting for sure. Would make for a cool stealth rod if added black seat, wraps and guides too....

2 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Esa

How do you work the foam. Does it come in blocks so you can drill and then ream and turn.

mike

Yes Mike, I think it is called cloced cell polystyrene and for construction it comes in 2ft×8ft and thickness varies at least one to six inches. Here lots of it is dug to ground to prevent ground freeze during winter.

It is easy to form using just hand tools. Herb did build few rods with foam/carbon handles but he and his customers did not like them because it was slick and I recall felt cold as well but I think they did not use grip tape. I quite often see grip tape on distance casting competitors rods and I think the cork handle is mostly unnecessary weight under it so that is why foam handle interests me again. When my tennis elbow was bad I made few handles which I formed just for my hand but I did not coat the foam. They had trigger for index finger and place for thumb and shape for palm was more oval than round.

Esa