April 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

Local24 SSP

1 hour ago, joefishnj21 said:

20190403_203844.jpg.54b489dc298a3fc8fd76e96df4274c1a.jpgWell boys..hard work pays off. After being beat by many skunks prior to today and awful wind gusts tonight that finally dissapated at 630..I was finally rewarded. 2 bass. 1 at 29 inches..the other a 38 in 27 lb. Piggy. She was photo n released. Caught on a wonder bread bomber. Sorry for cheesin so hard. Was so pumped. 

Thanks to the nice fisherman gent who took this pic for me and shared in the moment.

Nice job Joe! I love when hard work pays off. I was out tonight as well, but I got no action

Well I just went to check the tide and see if I could get my eyes on any bait...you guys know how that goes lol. I stuck around and wet a line. Finally after all the perching I have been doing, I wound up stumbling into my first keeper size striped ones of the season. Small paddle tail on a 1/2 oz jig was the ticket. Fished it like a bucktail low and slow with a few drops and pops. Worked like a charm. Now, it wasn’t a crazy session like one after the other but I landed 6 fish and missed 4 more in just under and hour and a half. Enough to keep me busy for a wee bit. 2.5 hours until I have to be up for work... yikes. Outback OC 

Edited by FlounderWetspot
Add county

12 hours ago, joefishnj21 said:

Well boys..hard work pays off. After being beat by many skunks prior to today and awful wind gusts tonight that finally dissapated at 630..I was finally rewarded. 2 bass. 1 at 29 inches..the other a 38 in 27 lb. Piggy. She was photo n released. Caught on a wonder bread bomber. Sorry for cheesin so hard. Was so pumped. 

Thanks to the nice fisherman gent who took this pic for me and shared in the moment.

Nice catch Joe! and great job on the CPR. You have set the bar for the season. That fish will go on to lay THOUSANDS of eggs this year alone

Cheers to many more

Been sleeping like **** so went out back bays CMC this morning 530-7 for the first outing of the year. Didn't see any bait floating around the first spot but eventually saw something small hit the surface then few cast later a micro took a swipe at a Riptide mullet but spit it on the first jump. Easily less than 12". Checked another spot, saw 1 surface tap but no other bites. Water was a bit cloudy after yesterdays blow. Might give it another shot sometime Saturday. 

Joe nice fish and nice job on the release . . . 

Guys, can I make a suggestion?  If you can avoid removing the fish from the water, try doing that . . . or at least slide it up to waters edge, turn her around and release.  Don't put your hands in the gill plates . . . and before you think I'm being holier than thou, I've removed numerous stripers from the water for photos, held them by the gills, let them hang from the lip, etc.  But as more information comes out about catch and release mortality, the more we need to be vigilant to protect a valuable resource we all enjoy.  We are very lucky to be benefactors of a healthy Hudson biomass . . . not all are so fortunate.  Let's protect what we have and be able to enjoy bountiful seasons to come.

Suds if you want to move this, that's fine.  And, Joe, seriously, nice fish/release and sorry I used it as my soap box.  

Edited by cartopper

"Starving dogs begging for scraps. The big picture is not important as long as we can get our scraps."

14 mins ago, cartopper said:

Joe nice fish and nice job on the release . . . 

Guys, can I make a suggestion?  If you can avoid removing the fish from the water, try doing that . . . or at least slide it up to waters edge, turn her around and release.  Don't put your hands in the gill plates . . . and before you think I'm being holier than thou, I've removed numerous stripers from the water for photos, held them by the gills, let them hang from the lip, etc.  But as more information comes out about catch and release mortality, the more we need to be vigilant to protect a valuable resource we all enjoy.  We are very lucky to be benefactors of a healthy Hudson biomass . . . not all are so fortunate.  Let's protect what we have and be able to enjoy bountiful seasons to come.

Suds if you want to move this, that's fine.  And, Joe, seriously, nice fish/release and sorry I used it as my soap box.  

No worries. And u are right. what u can't see is I literally have 2 fingers barely hinged in there just for stability. Never got near the gills themselves. And I promise, I did full CPR and that fish didn't slowly swim away, she kicked away like a mule. Which was great to see cuz she was in good shape. But yes, good points that I'll use in future. Also one other positive..the guy who was fishing about 20 feet from me was pretty excited about a fish he caught. Took a photo and than said, go get bigger. Released it perfectly. Was nice to see. I think for ever 1 poacher/captain slaughter, there's 2 more anglers who are extremely conscious about c&r. Maybe in being too optimistic on that..but im seeing it more n more. 

Edited by joefishnj21

13 hours ago, joefishnj21 said:

20190403_203844.jpg.54b489dc298a3fc8fd76e96df4274c1a.jpgWell boys..hard work pays off. After being beat by many skunks prior to today and awful wind gusts tonight that finally dissapated at 630..I was finally rewarded. 2 bass. 1 at 29 inches..the other a 38 in 27 lb. Piggy. She was photo n released. Caught on a wonder bread bomber. Sorry for cheesin so hard. Was so pumped. 

Joe, congrats! Nice job on the C&R. Did they have to wire your jaw after that smile?

Gave it a shot, out front, MoCo, from 8:30 - 9:15 am. Right tide and great looking white water, with supporting wave action. Nada. Looks like the curse that MC55 put on himself with his first outing fish has spread to most of the beaches! Way to go, Mike.

Surfer dudes were having a ball. I checked the beach and no sheds of any kind. There were some sweet cuts and rips along the lip. This time last year, I was into small bass in these same areas. Back at it tomorrow.

Tried last night bayside, water was crystal clear. Windy though, but I was in a spot where I had the wind behind me. I swear, it felt like this was going to be the night and I prayed to the old gods and the new. But nada, not a bump. Had me a wendys double on the way home and ordered a bunch of lures to ease the pain. Back at it tomorrow. 

"With all things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be the right one..."

(*member formerly known as 'adoboboy')