Local24 SSP

April 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

849 posts in this topic

went out this morning with bloodworms and the schoolies wouldn't let me get to the perch. Seriously. After four hours of losing most of my bait to schoolies and having 1 perch to take home to show for it, I gave up. Grateful there are large numbers of schoolies in my neck of the woods, don't get me wrong. I eat perch, not schoolies. The largest was maybe 16". Smallest was about 5". Cumberland.

Just now, NewWaveDave said:

went out this morning with bloodworms and the schoolies wouldn't let me get to the perch. Seriously. After four hours of losing most of my bait to schoolies and having 1 perch to take home to show for it, I gave up. Grateful there are large numbers of schoolies in my neck of the woods, don't get me wrong. I eat perch, not schoolies. The largest was maybe 16". Smallest was about 5". Cumberland.

whoever is spooling it should be wearing gloves.

15 hours ago, nandocoelho said:

Goldy

• photo-24207.jpg
  •   
    • BST Users
    • 718 posts

Nice fish on tide this morning.  Died out quickly after outgoing.  

My day ended in rage. A guy rolled up in a kayak and just started unloading fish.  Easily two 35+# fish.  And i started screaming and ask him if he knew the regulations. He said yeah 1@48.  I as so heated.  He threw the fish in some big blue sack and backed his car up.  I as so tempted to launch his kayak without him and let the current take it.  

We called fish and game as there were more yaks out there prob doing same thing.   

A few hours later my blood was still boiling.  

If anyone has suggestions and how to get fish and game quicker let me know. 

I read this post today and couldn’t answer there because that topic was close...

the number u should call is:
Department of environmental protection 
1-877-927-6337

this is a 24-hour hotline.

did you take a picture of his license plate?

if you meet a game warden and strike up a conversation, they will give you their cards with cell phones numbers

3 hours ago, fishless said:

I think a deeper look into those #'s would be beneficial to better understand conditions vs activity.  Strictly based on memory, which in full disclosure is a very dangerous thing for me to rely on, last year this time I recall a more consistent temp across both day and evening.  This year we are yo-yo and still dropping below freezing at night.  I think this year we saw some warmer temps to open the month of March but then it turned cooler towards the back end.  All factors that can contribute to skew the #'s to seem more favorable then might actually be the case.  Again I'm not working off of any notes just what I seem to recall.     

exactly... its a damn rabbit hole. I dig myself into this whole every year in early season trying to understand why the fish are active or inactive. The data that the fella stated above could easily be skewed by looking at just daily highs or avg day temps and such. I agree with you that this years temps has been inconsistant as well as wind and sunlight

2 hours ago, apagano80 said:

whoever is spooling it should be wearing gloves.

Hittin the sauce early today, buddy? Haha.

Just now, fishless said:

Bottom line you're not gonna know if you don't go.  See ya tonight where I will most likely fail to create a report. 

I gave up on the SB last night so I walked the shoreline and satarted to release half dead bunker for some much needed good karma. Menhaden Mafia is prospering

26 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

exactly... its a damn rabbit hole. I dig myself into this whole every year in early season trying to understand why the fish are active or inactive. The data that the fella stated above could easily be skewed by looking at just daily highs or avg day temps and such. I agree with you that this years temps has been inconsistant as well as wind and sunlight

At least ive been consistent, conditions be damned :hypocrite:

31 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

What's the rainfall difference between this year and last?  What about snow melt? 

From last April to today the whole state is averaging like 15 inches above normal precipitation. 

1 hour ago, DragonsLax48 said:

I gave up on the SB last night so I walked the shoreline and satarted to release half dead bunker for some much needed good karma. Menhaden Mafia is prospering

You’ve gotta make SB an offer they can’t refuse...

0FFCC8CC-02F9-4C49-9E75-6E100E55F1A1.jpeg