Local24 SSP

April 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

580 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Rules for the thread..............

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

A specific spot is too much information!
It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in separate threads.

For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are..........

Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

As a collective group I hope we can all fish for a greater cause this spring. It is known that the stock is in trouble, but still salvagable. Please release the females properly, and keep a modest amount for the dinner table if you so choose.

Edited by Local24 SSP

Brutal wind out there this morning.  Temps in the 30s with a steady 15 to 20 mph wind out of the NW made it a bit uncomfortable, especially when there are no fish around.  Surf is flattening out with that wind and not helping the water temp either.  Not looking a whole lot better tomorrow with the wind going SE during the day.  Looking at that ENE wind predicted overnight on Tuesday flipping to NW on Wednesday morning.  Might give the water temp a bump up and might wake up a few fish.  All going to depend on how close the storm gets I guess.

Thought about it, went outside and thought better about it.  Cruised to a few spots and didn't see anything remotely fishy enough to get me out of the vehicle.  What happened to the 50°+ weather reports

Goldy

• photo-24207.jpg
  •   
    • BST Users
    • 718 posts

Nice fish on tide this morning.  Died out quickly after outgoing.  

My day ended in rage. A guy rolled up in a kayak and just started unloading fish.  Easily two 35+# fish.  And i started screaming and ask him if he knew the regulations. He said yeah 1@48.  I as so heated.  He threw the fish in some big blue sack and backed his car up.  I as so tempted to launch his kayak without him and let the current take it.  

We called fish and game as there were more yaks out there prob doing same thing.   

A few hours later my blood was still boiling.  

If anyone has suggestions and how to get fish and game quicker let me know. 

I read this post today and couldn’t answer there because that topic was close...

the number u should call is:
Department of environmental protection 
1-877-927-6337

this is a 24-hour hotline.
Edited by nandocoelho

Thanks.  We heard back from fish and game they were in the area until 4am. They missed they yaks.  

These guys are professional poachers.   Clearly prepared for this.  

Thank you for staying on top of this and providing the contact info. Team work makes the dream work! Please call and let the professionals make the judgement call about the situation. And when we vote, try to think about what is required to put more officers in the field to help protect our resource. Thanks again!

Edited by NewWaveDave
just because

Last night had potential... found the bunker and bass, but they wouldn’t commit. A bunch of swirls/follows behind redfins but none went for it. Packed it up around 930, this 5AM work crap is keeping me from fishing tides.. As per the pool thermometer I read 50 degrees on the flats I was wading... 

Last couple days, schoolies on Blue Backs up river. nothing over 24” for me guys bait fishing getting bigger size on bloods! They liked purple over silver sp best. Herring are pretty thick now! Water was cooling off again this morn with smoke on the water and glass conditions. Afternoon was better than sunrise..

9BE4BA99-DF69-41D0-BD9C-35C47989AA6B.jpeg

Stayed in last night and did a little studying of some data I found interesting. So right around St Patricks day of last year, bites were pretty hot along the bays in rivers of NJ. Keepers were reported right around the 1st days of spring and in some cases earlier. We always here the "it's not warm enough theory." Well I did some numbers, and again this was just for my own entertainment but I thought the findings were interesting. The average high temp for last March (2018) was 46.35 degrees. The average High temp for this year for March (2019) was 49.064. Full 3 degrees warmer. The average water temp at Sandy hook last year for the month of March was 39.85. This year it was 41.6. Leads me to believe that there are many more triggers that start the migrations than we realize. Bait of course, southern food sources in the Delaware, Maryland area...etc etc. I'll be out tonight...This useless knowledge will not put bass on my line...

Edited by joefishnj21

Fresh tidal water has been productive going back 2.5 weeks. Water was 41 and the LMB were hitting hard & fast. I even got 1 topwater.

There are no hard & fast rules. The bass seem to modify.  

Some factors on the fish themselves-low tide over a dark bottom---those fish are very active.  

38 mins ago, joefishnj21 said:

Stayed in last night and did a little studying of some data I found interesting. So right around St Patricks day of last year, bites were pretty hot along the bays in rivers of NJ. Keepers were reported right around the 1st days of spring and in some cases earlier. We always here the "it's not warm enough theory." Well I did some numbers, and again this was just for my own entertainment but I thought the findings were interesting. The average high temp for last March (2018) was 46.35 degrees. The average High temp for this year for March (2019) was 49.064. Full 3 degrees warmer. The average water temp at Sandy hook last year for the month of March was 39.85. This year it was 41.6. Leads me to believe that there are many more triggers that start the migrations than we realize. Bait of course, southern food sources in the Delaware, Maryland area...etc etc. I'll be out tonight...This useless knowledge will not put bass on my line...

Hey but all that definitely sounds good. 

Just my 2 cents, but I think moon phases and bait presence are much more important then temps alone. 

I think a deeper look into those #'s would be beneficial to better understand conditions vs activity.  Strictly based on memory, which in full disclosure is a very dangerous thing for me to rely on, last year this time I recall a more consistent temp across both day and evening.  This year we are yo-yo and still dropping below freezing at night.  I think this year we saw some warmer temps to open the month of March but then it turned cooler towards the back end.  All factors that can contribute to skew the #'s to seem more favorable then might actually be the case.  Again I'm not working off of any notes just what I seem to recall.