Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SallyGrowler

New Shooters Initiative

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Take a new shooter to the range. Spread the gospel.

I will be taking some of my co-workers to the range over the weekend in an effort to educate and have fun.

Some have never shot and most would vote to disarm the law-abiding given the opportunity.

In an effort to change that I will be introducing three colleagues to a good friend and range safety officer this Saturday.

We will start with the basics with a .22 rifle. A great introduction to the wonders of semi-auto firearms.

I will probably bring an AK and AR variants (including wifey's Tavor).

Handguns will range from full size 9mm to .45 ACP and .357 revolver

I will also have them shoot Shotgun: bird, buck and slugs.

I have been the 2A evangelist in my office.

After Parkland someone was ranting how they could walk into a gun store and purchase a long gun no questions asked.

I took them to my local gun store during an extended lunch break and showed them exactly what the process entailed.

The other nitwits that claim a need for "universal background checks" was astounded that a background check was indeed performed at a gun store.

:squid:

I am changing minds one day at a time and I urge ... no...  I Challenge my fellow enthusiasts to do the same.

If you go to the range a few times a month, make it your goal to take 1 new shooter per month.

If you are less frequent, try to get at least 5 or 6 noobs to the range in the year.

Peace love and reload

8 hours ago, SallyGrowler said:

Take a new shooter to the range. Spread the gospel.

I will be taking some of my co-workers to the range over the weekend in an effort to educate and have fun.

Some have never shot and most would vote to disarm the law-abiding given the opportunity.

In an effort to change that I will be introducing three colleagues to a good friend and range safety officer this Saturday.

We will start with the basics with a .22 rifle. A great introduction to the wonders of semi-auto firearms.

I will probably bring an AK and AR variants (including wifey's Tavor).

Handguns will range from full size 9mm to .45 ACP and .357 revolver

I will also have them shoot Shotgun: bird, buck and slugs.

I have been the 2A evangelist in my office.

After Parkland someone was ranting how they could walk into a gun store and purchase a long gun no questions asked.

I took them to my local gun store during an extended lunch break and showed them exactly what the process entailed.

The other nitwits that claim a need for "universal background checks" was astounded that a background check was indeed performed at a gun store.

:squid:

I am changing minds one day at a time and I urge ... no...  I Challenge my fellow enthusiasts to do the same.

If you go to the range a few times a month, make it your goal to take 1 new shooter per month.

If you are less frequent, try to get at least 5 or 6 noobs to the range in the year.

Peace love and reload

Right on. I will try and do the same.

On target!  ;)

Seriously, that's a good post.  I do the same and make sure to make the experience as enjoyable adn hopefully memorable as possible.  Start with the .22's and work your way up.  Don't push someone to shoot something they're not comfortable with or have a fear of.  I don't see any humor (OK, a little) in seeing someone shocked by recoil.  We want them to enjoy shooting, come back and become regulars or at least casual participants...

If you give somebody the bug, so much the better.  I suspect one former co-workers wife would shoot me if she got a clean shot as he really got into shooting after a couple of range trips and would usually start our range sessions with . "let me show you this..." whatever his new purchase was.

Jeff B.