Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ECFlyer33

Fly Fishing Southeast Maine Coast

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2019 at 3:05 PM, Mike Oliver said:

Eldridge Brothers.

Jim is very helpful especially to new Guys. Very good shop to.

Learn how to fish crab pot flies. Google up how to type them.

look up grocery files. Pollack and mackerel imitations.  Cast them on floating lines off of low bluffs and rocks. They will pull up big bad Bass from deep water.

mike

On 4/3/2019 at 10:03 AM, scooleen74 said:

second the Eldridge Brothers, you can also buy the crab pot there, great shop very helpful people.

Thanks for spreading the word gentleman!  

Look at the Piscataqua River watershed. 

That's as close as I'll get you. 

Grocery Pollock flies and Guitar Minnows from Eldredge work great. As do their crab flies on the flats. 

Joe Calcavecchia ties a Squid fly that's hard to beat. 

Grocery Herring and Mackeral flies would also be in my box. 

Finally some Eel imitations ala Rich Murphy. 

Bring the 10 weight. 

Crab flies on inlets, outgoing tide, those little brown crabs get pulled out and bounce along the bottom, sand eels in July, sparsely dressed also swung on outgoing tides work.

3 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

The tackle shop is I think pretty good. As titleguy says good materials and enough ready made flies of the right kind for Maine waters if you don’t have time to tye your own. Coffee is available to.

My system of rating shops is quite simple. If you can turn  up with no gear and go away fully outfitted to fish locally then the shop has to be ok.

Eldridge Bros falls into that category.

mike

Well put Mike.

On 4/4/2019 at 8:25 AM, titleguy said:

The tackle shop moved off India Street out to Veranda Street, just off Route 1 on the north side of Portland.  Dana has a decent fly selection and decent material selection (and good intel).  There are lots of fish in the Bay of Fundy and Northumberland Straight and around Cape Breton and in the Mirimachi and the Margaree, etc.

no doubt.  I get them when I head to the mills in NB and NS.  Some nice ones in Saint John

And let us not forget about fishing ledges at all tides, where the waves feed through cuts and pull out crabs and bait. Feed a sinking head into these cuts with a large pollack imitation and see what happens. Oops. I forgot that was what happened in the late 90's & early 2000's. Now you'll have to be satisfied with schoolies. Gotta love those fisheries managers and how they look out for our Maine interests. 

Eldridge Brothers is the premier Maine-based fly shop, with upstart All Points in S. Portland doing a nice job. I think Dana's Tackle Shop on Veranda St is great, He's been around a long time for good reason, and, because I fish all methods, he covers the bases.