Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ECFlyer33

Fly Fishing Southeast Maine Coast

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Anyone familiar with best spots for fly fishing coastal Maine? As of now I'm thinking York, Kittery, Biddeford, Cape Porpoise areas but wanted to see if there are any secret gems out there that should be explored.

Cheers!

You may be aware that TimS has a very strict policy regarding spot burning on this site....  And the spots you mentioned are substantially to the west of a lot of the coast in Maine.....

Once you get a few more posts send me a PM.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Its April 1st, well played.

The yellow areas are productive also if you have access to boats or dronez the red x areas work.

Maine.PNG

Edited by scooleen74

That second X from the bottom hasn't been that hot so far this year though. However if you walk 342 paces south of the top X, to where there is a small plaque embedded in an old lobster pot that says "Secret Spot Here", and throw a 2/0 Lefty's deceiver in blue, lavender and phonecian ivory about 64' I'm pretty sure there's a keepah right theyah waiting for it. Was there last time I checked at least. Best with a 600 grain sinking head, but an intermediate might get it done....

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anywhere in Maine where there is sea water could be good. Beaches  estuaries and inlets.

Google Earth is very helpful.

Not rocket science now we have these tools. 

We came from 3000 miles away and managed to find fish. You will do fine.

mikey

Edited by Mike Oliver

i just went DIY a few years ago.  I basically used google earth and looked for public parks / beaches that had structure.  I did not catch tons of fish but did OK and it is really pretty place to fish.  Really watch your tides as they swing between 0'-12' depending on phase.

Also there is a fly shop in south main.  Stop in there and buy a few things and ask for directions and they will help.

Eldridge Brothers.

Jim is very helpful especially to new Guys. Very good shop to.

Learn how to fish crab pot flies. Google up how to type them.

look up grocery files. Pollack and mackerel imitations.  Cast them on floating lines off of low bluffs and rocks. They will pull up big bad Bass from deep water.

mike

I have been to Eldridge Brothers. My son lives in Scarborough, Maine. The small shop in center Portland, I think that it was called the fly shop, is small, but will have your $10.00 clousers if you need them and the flies are really sparce in material. Tippet and the basics they always have if you are in need. Stripping baskets also.

FT

12 hours ago, Fishin Technician said:

I have been to Eldridge Brothers. My son lives in Scarborough, Maine. The small shop in center Portland, I think that it was called the fly shop, is small, but will have your $10.00 clousers if you need them and the flies are really sparce in material. Tippet and the basics they always have if you are in need. Stripping baskets also.

FT

The tackle shop moved off India Street out to Veranda Street, just off Route 1 on the north side of Portland.  Dana has a decent fly selection and decent material selection (and good intel).  There are lots of fish in the Bay of Fundy and Northumberland Straight and around Cape Breton and in the Mirimachi and the Margaree, etc.

12 hours ago, Fishin Technician said:

The tackle shop is I think pretty good. As titleguy says good materials and enough ready made flies of the right kind for Maine waters if you don’t have time to tye your own. Coffee is available to.

My system of rating shops is quite simple. If you can turn  up with no gear and go away fully outfitted to fish locally then the shop has to be ok.

Eldridge Bros falls into that category.

mike