Gwiz

Tidemaster ?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I am looking to buy another Tidemaster . Looking at 8' med. up to 3/4 oz. I have other Tidemaster rods so not looking for a comparison. Just if anyone has this rod. Rod will be used on the flats with small buck tails and jig heads. Thanks. 

I have St. Croix TIS80MF.  Love it.   Paired with Penn Conflict 4000 with 20lb Suffix 822.  Perfect for Albies, stripers anything inshore.  Plenty of backbone if things get larger. Cast all day with this set up.  

Thanks.  I was wondering if it would be too whippy . I have 8' mh up to 2 oz. great rod but very stiff. Was going to match new one with penn 4500 bailless. 

I have the MH 8 FYI as well.  Both have their applications.  The MH I can use in the canal.   Throw heavier lures.   The MF is great for metals / epoxy jigs.   Cast a mile with it with 20lb braid on a 4000.    

On 4/1/2019 at 3:20 PM, dlaurend said:

I have St. Croix TIS80MF.  Love it.   Paired with Penn Conflict 4000 with 20lb Suffix 822.  Perfect for Albies, stripers anything inshore.  Plenty of backbone if things get larger. Cast all day with this set up.  

Think this would pair well with Penn battle III 3500?? Grabbed one on sale over winter and love my buddies tidemaster when I fish down in Florida. My lami schoolie blank is just a tad too stiff so looking to upgrade 

18 hours ago, Johnnystripahs said:

Think this would pair well with Penn battle III 3500?? Grabbed one on sale over winter and love my buddies tidemaster when I fish down in Florida. My lami schoolie blank is just a tad too stiff so looking to upgrade 

No experience with the Battle 3500.   I have a 4000 battle and I know that would work welll.  Can’t inagine there’s much difference between the 3500 and the battle 4000.  A little lighter?  Less Drag maybe.  Line capacity.  Depends what you’re using it for.  A decent Albie run may cause problems on the 3500.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tidemasters are a home run, always have been. I bought a 3 piece 7'6" MF Tidemaster travel rod for a Bermuda cruise I went on last year. Hurricane Florence ended up pushing us to Nova Scotia instead, but I brought it anyways and had a blast catching buckets of mackerel at the cruise terminal, gave them away to a local who was bringing them to the local Veterans Association for supper. I ended up fishing that rod at home almost every day last fall and got some decent sized fish, plenty of backbone. I paired it with a 4500 Spinfisher and it's an absolute gem. I'd imagine the 8 footer is an awesome rod. Congrats on the purchase. 

I was exclusively a one-piece guy until I bought the rod... I can't wait to take it out of the case this year, and I can't wait to buy another one like it. But the next one will be an 8 foot solid stick conventional.

Edited by ToddyRocks

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've always wanted the 7'6" Medium version since I fish from a boat with a t-top a lot -- wouldn't want to snag the 8' rod tip on the t-top but that's the one I'd get if I fished from shore.

Ever thought of going with the Medium action version? Sounds like it would pair well with your desired lures.

Edited by squammer

3 hours ago, Gwiz said:

The Med is the one I got

Medium power, or medium action? (or both)

On 4/1/2019 at 0:45 PM, Gwiz said:

I am looking to buy another Tidemaster . Looking at 8' med. up to 3/4 oz. I have other Tidemaster rods so not looking for a comparison. Just if anyone has this rod. Rod will be used on the flats with small buck tails and jig heads. Thanks. 

Light tackle:)man after my own heart