hurricane1091

Is this rod useful at all?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Someone at work had a bunch of these old casting rods they gave to me. I've never used a casting rod every so I took them, but now that they are here I see there is no identifying information on them and the butt of the reel is very short. Are these useful for any type of fishing? Maybe buck tailing fluke? Rod seems light weight and fast action. I just don't know about having such a short butt, feel like I've never seen anything like that. Figured I'd ask here before I bought a budget reel to try this out.

w4W2R8o.png

Posted (edited) · Report post

Can you post a close up of the Butt section. I believe I have seen them in casting videos down south. I will try to find the video

Edited by trade off

Posted (edited) · Report post

That style is used primarily with closed face push button reels for light freshwater use. You will usually see people bobbin fishing with them. 

Edited by aae0130

Conventional reel

Largemouth bass fishing

You can use it on a boat for shallow water fluke, but it'll rust really fast

I have a coupe of them from a long time ago.  They are not the most practical type of rod in my opinion, but they can be super fun.  Catching a big largemouth or even big bluegill would be a blast with something like that... I would give it a try, cant go wrong.  :th:

Here's a close up. Thanks for the replies boys. Not sure if l will do anything with them. The other guy at work wants to get his kids fishing so maybe he can use them with a push button reel?

IMG_20190402_084609.jpg

Freshwater bait caster, Spend the 30 bucks on an Abu Black Max, grab a few 1/2 ounce plugs and go catch a largemouth bass

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:52 PM, hurricane1091 said:

I will get a close up tomorrow. It seems like it's called a pistol grip from what I'm reading. 

those are for one handed casting.

I had one for LMB,sucked fishing it,waay better to use 2 hands than one imho.

HH