Knot for ring on anchor trolley

I made a DIY anchor trolley and can’t seem to keep the line tight and it slips a bit. One of my knots where I tie the 550 paracord to the center ring slips a little. Any suggestions for a knot to use? My problem comes from (aside from knowing which knowing which knot to tie) having to pull the paracord tight around my pulleys and hold it tight while I tie the last knot and not have any slip...

Edited by wasabi_VA

I've had this DIY anchor trolley for years on another kayak and it never stretched. At least that isn't my experience. This is genuine mil-issue paracord if that matters? Originally it just passed thru 2 small carabiners, one at the front and one at the rear, but was hard to move the trolley. So on my new kayak I added a Harken 224 roller cam thing at each end and now it rolls like butter. But I can't get my knot cinched tight so it rolls like greased butter right now because the line isn't tight enough to help get it just right.

This is how i connected to a ring when i did it.......no knot, only wrapped up the line with braid & shrink tubed over the whole thing..

connection.jpg.cb9e9caa88817944cfde52a9eeb9e3e9.jpg

Assuming you're using [2] pulleys , Use a section of bungee on one of the pulleys for stretch & for shock absorption...

8 hours ago, Local24 SSP said:

I’ve always tied a clove hitch backed up with a half hitch or two. Never had a problem, and it’s quick to tie/untie. 

Clove & 2 x 1/2 hitches :th: 

a few million scouts and even more sailors can’t be wrong ...

Any society that charges it's own children for knowledge, is doomed to fail.

Whilst intelligence is not affected by geography, it is influenced by education, opportunity and drive.   

Now is the time to change our attitude towards blues, next year may well be too late (Somebody listened :th: )
Member of the Yellow Eyed Devils
May you never have to fish to live, rather live to fish.

Before the Harkens pulleys it was tight, now these Harkens allow it to slide so easy that changes in kayak angle relative to the anchor line angle allows the ring to slide up or down from where I really want it. Hence the need for a cleat (that I was trying to avoid) or one of those locking anchor line do-hickeys. By the time I'm done I would have been better off buying an anchor line kit and getting all the nice pieces :shaky:

The bowline is my goto knot and the one I wanted to tie, but I can't hold the anchor line tight and tie it under tension at the same time. I could try the elastic cord idea at one end but think that along with the Harkens is going to really allow the anchor trolley to move. Maybe I will remove one of the harkens to give it less freedom.

Any knot that works for braid should not slip, a uni or Palomar knot may work. Type III 550 paracord is rated for static loads, the working or dynamic load is 1/5-1/3 of the static load. I haven’t used it but type IV paracord maxes out at 750lbs.

Tis better to remain silent and thought the fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.