Trout tracker

How much 30 pound braid fits on a penn squidder

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

35 mins ago, Trout tracker said:

It has a chrome spool

thank you for the help

i will put 150 yards braid on spool and fill rest with 30# big game to top.now you properly fill spool just reverse the line,walk that in field or use one extra reel with 2 spools.

I’d put 50# on a squidder it holds a lot of line besides a backlash with 30 wouldn’t be fun ...also like snag said 30# big game backing to 150yds braid ...

i tried braid on a squidder once. had a problem with it getting into the gap between spool and frame. can't remember what size braid but i want to say #50

Pehaps your educated thumb is far better than mine but IMHO casting a squidder with a chrome spool and braid is just asking for an expensive backlash.  The gap tolerance between the spool and the side plate is simply too large to go with lighter braids. I typically use 25# mono with a plastic spool for my squidder.  I can get away with 17# on my Garcia Ambassadeur 7000.   I gave up trying to cast with the chrome spool.  Tom

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, TomL said:

Pehaps your educated thumb is far better than mine but IMHO casting a squidder with a chrome spool and braid is just asking for an expensive backlash.  The gap tolerance between the spool and the side plate is simply too large to go with lighter braids. I typically use 25# mono with a plastic spool for my squidder.  I can get away with 17# on my Garcia Ambassadeur 7000.   I gave up trying to cast with the chrome spool.  Tom

I ain’t casting it it’s going to be for inshore jigging. I know it’s pretty slow but it’s the only thing I could find in left hand. I have absolutely no experience surf casting but hope to learn with the plastic spool and my squidder 

Edited by Trout tracker

First, 30lb braid is .28 mm. It’s about the equivalent of 10 or 12 lb mono.

the 140 holds 350 yards of 20lb, which has a line dia of .45 mm, therefore it is 1.6 x more than .28 mm line; so 350 x 1.6 = 560 yards of 30lb braid.

When spooling, calculate the length of line spoiled by one full 360 degree rotation of the handle. This is done by tying the line to the spool, cranking the handle 360 degrees, and measuring the amount spooled with a ruler by pulling the line off horizontal to the spool and measuring it.

if one rotation of the handle took one foot of line; then 560 cranks of 30lb braided line would fill the reel. Keep in mind, you need to measure this, with my Abu 5500 and 6500, it’s 6” per 360 degree crank. I’m using one foot on the penn as a hypothetical.

So, if you spooled the line with 30 yards of 20lb backing, you would use the equivalent of 48 cranks of 20lb mono. Which means you have room for 512 cranks of 30lb braid.

i do similar calculations on my abuse and come between an 1/8 to a 1/4 of the spool lip. The trick is spooling right.

fishhappy,  seems to me the amount of line spooled per 360 handle turn would depend on how much line was on the spool and would of course be constantly changing. or maybe i am missing something ?

2 hours ago, Thumb-Burner said:

1 crap ton is the answer to the question.

1 crap ton = 640yd

or

300yd spool of 30lb braid with about 180yd of 20lb mono as backing

15 hours ago, mark d said:

fishhappy,  seems to me the amount of line spooled per 360 handle turn would depend on how much line was on the spool and would of course be constantly changing. or maybe i am missing something ?

I could show you a picture of a reel, Abu 5500, I spooled with 12lb mono backing and 150 yards 50lb Sufix 832, there is about 1/8 of the distance from the line to the spool lip, and all 150 yards of braid was used. I call that a good calculation.