luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - April 2019

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Caught a baby muskie the other day on a lake in NOVA. Maybe 20" but hey it was the first fish of the year.

Edited by LY2000

What are your thoughts on eating black drum? I've always heard that the bigger ones get wormy and that often the worms are visible on the exterior of the fish. If you eat them, do you have a specific size that you look for (nothing over 24" for example) or do you look for evidence of parasites before making your decision?

1 hour ago, Wheeler said:

What are your thoughts on eating black drum? I've always heard that the bigger ones get wormy and that often the worms are visible on the exterior of the fish. If you eat them, do you have a specific size that you look for (nothing over 24" for example) or do you look for evidence of parasites before making your decision?

I ate one that was about 12 lbs and it was very good. white flakey  meat and extremely mild flavor. 

The way I deal with worms (all fish can get them) is a process called "candeling" or at least that is what I was told it's called. Basically, you hold the filet up to a bright light and you can see any worms in it then simply remove them. 

One job I had while going to college was the seafood counter at Acme.  It seemed like it was only the Cod that had worms.  I would throw the entire tray away if I saw one worm.  I never knew they added flavor ;-)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just got back from fishing a Delaware inlet jetty. Saturday , I caught about 4 small Stripers on Bucks. Other guys caught more. It was pretty steady for awhile. But man it was wet out there. Thank God for Korkers, Water proof pants and My Stormr top. Man it felt great.

Edited by hunter123

18 hours ago, hunter123 said:

Just got back from fishing a Delaware inlet jetty. Saturday , I caught about 4 small Stripers on Bucks. Other guys caught more. It was pretty steady for awhile. But man it was wet out there. Thank God for Korkers, Water proof pants and My Stormr top. Man it felt great.

I still think we really need to limit being so specific with locations, in the NJ thread it's either out front or out back.  You don't need more detail than that.  DE has much less real estate to fish and tons of lurkers on here looking at reports, just be vague with the location.