Fly fishing in New Jersey, Wild wood Beach

Rate this topic

Flymaker1

Howdy all. We'll be on the east coast, the end of May. I'll have time to fish from Wildwood Beach in New Jersey. What can I expect? What flies should I be tying? I will have an 8 wgt rod, floating and sinking lines. 

Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

Should still be taylor blues around out back as well as some schoolie bass.A popper on a floating line would be an easy way to bring them around as the noise will draw them from far away.

Clousers and deceivers could also be good,might get some fluke that way as a bonus.A small, simple shrimp pattern would be a good bet too as they are front and center for food for fish in the bay.

Taylors are my fav SW fish for eating.Bleed right away,gut and ice them.

Fillet after rigor mortis sets in,it'll be easier.

Skin side down fillets on the grill or fillet and fry but be sure to remove the dark meat along the lateral line if you fry.Lay the fillet skin side down and shave the fillets off the skin paying attention not to skin too "tight",you wanna leave that layer of darker meat between the skin and flesh attached to the skin and if you make your cut into and along the lateral line shaving toward the outside edges you should get a nice,clean fillet in two pieces,the top/shoulder and the bottom/flank/rib meat and the skin w/ all the fat still attached.