Khary23

Carrying Gear

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I'm a long time surfcaster who is learning to fly fish. I was wandering what people uses to carry their gear while fishing?  Thanks an advance!

Shirt pockets. I usually fil one box with the flies I plan to use at a given spot, that fits in one shirt pocket, then a spool of tippet material in the other. If I carry a spare spool I have a little waist pack that I use, but not that often. License is in a zip lock in my wader pocket. I travel pretty light usually...

When I first started fly fishing I carried a bunch of stuff, tons of flies and extra spools and leader material and on and on.  Most of it fit inside a Simms wading jacket, but it felt really bulky.  After you figure out what you really need to carry and what can be left in the car, there's not much left (this will vary by location and style fishing), but now I carry less fly fishing than what I would carry if I was spin fishing the surf.  The one big difference is a stripping basket, use a heavy belt so you can attach pliers, boga, knife, pouches or whatever else to the back of the belt.

Travel light carry only what you need unless its an all day affair. Box of flys in one pocket, tippet/leader and light in the other, pliers on my suspenders and a nipper. My stripping basket is under water at times so nothing mounted on it.

thanks for all the replies guys! I am going to look into all sling packs for lnoer trips for H2O and snacks and a god jacket for short trips. You guys have jackets you like that wont break the bankl?

Orvis sling pack. I keep flies,sometimes two spools ,fluorocarbon, pliers ,and water in it. It’s pretty comfortable.  And lighter than the stuffed three tube  I use spinfishishing. I don’t like any thing on the belt for my stripping basket 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ok so you are a Surfcaster  already. Then piece of cake. Take out your plug bag insert and hang you bag off a surf belt. Don’t worry about your spare gear in the bag getting wet. You can’t keep gear dry when fly fishing the salt..

Mobility is your friend. Having fast access to your gear is very useful.

what works for surfcasting works for fly fishing

I used to Surf cast a lot.

mike

ps. The surf belt is seperate from line tray belt which are inadequate to hang heavy stuff from. Line tray belt goes on second.

Some surf belts allow you to lock in place on the sides your bags. So you can manage a line tray and surf belt bags ok.

Most of us take way too much gear. I can never ever recall the time I ever needed something that I did not pack.

Edited by Mike Oliver

A few things things to keep in mind, as far as a bag, I highly recommend a quality Sling PAC, my favorite is the Orvis but everyone has their preference, the other thing to keep in mind is you will need a stripping basket. The issue with a back pack is I found a stripping basket and back pack don’t get along. When you want to slide the basket behind you a back pack will always be in the way.

The  basket should loose enough to slide it around behind you, adding pliers and such to the belt could also be an issue when trying to slide the basket out of the way, not to mention if  you have a sling pack no need to add stuff to the belt.

If I need to carry more than what I can stuff down my waders and pockets I use a small cheap 15L roll top ruck sack. I don't like zips, even drysuit ones they use on those fancy Sims/patagonia packs. The ones I've tried are stiff and hard to close properly. I'm also too cheap to drop $$$ on a pack knowing the zip will give out at some point.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/31/2019 at 7:03 PM, Khary23 said:

thanks for all the replies guys! I am going to look into all sling packs for lnoer trips for H2O and snacks and a god jacket for short trips. You guys have jackets you like that wont break the bankl?

I've been using an LL Bean Emerger jacket for a few years, and it's been fine.  About $130.  would prefer the pockets were just a bit larger for those times I'm not using a pack, and that one were waterproof.  Looking at options for a replacement jacket now.

Edited by chr1s

I have a traditional vest, but have embraced the sling.  I also believe Vedavoo products are the most innovative fly fishing products available, and they are made in the U.S.A.