squammer

Shimano 4000 or 5000 size reel? Inshore 7' Rod w/ mono

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

You should try using the spro power swivels that are small enough to go through your guides without damage. You are way better off getting used to not pulling the swivel through the guides but hey, ship happens. 

The other advantage to having a heavier mono or fluro leader is the increased size/ test nylon serves as a better handle to grab and adds more insurance for abrasion or rub offs. Grabbing any fish of size with thin diameter lines is inviting cuts in your fingers, that effect gets worse when your wet hands get softer.

4 hours ago, squammer said:

I tried the knot-to-knot attachment as well but when that knot rubs against the rod guides in a cast, it loosens and eventually breaks. I've lost a few Hogey Paddletails this way. 

These knots are actually very strong its just if you can tie it correctly

I think I am going to go with the Shimano Stradic 5000 FK reel. If it's basically the same size as the 4000 other than a slightly taller spool, I don't see why not. I also prefer the larger knob the 5000 has as standard. I learned a lot from this thread and even scored some fireline to try.

I use a 500 stradic with 14lb fireline crystal (same as the black original except for color).   

There's not a lot to not like there imo.  nice and light, can handle bigger fish, great drag.   You'll like it. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

So I got the Stradic 5000FK from a member here. Very nice guy. I was originally going to buy the 4000 size but he nicely brought both 4000 and 5000FK new in box. I saw how so very similar they were in size so I took the 5000FK to have that extra capacity and nice rubber knob that the 5000FK has. Fits my 7' Teramar Med. very nicely.

Another member sent me some 20lb Fireline to try out which was awesome as well. Looks to be a great setup.

Thanks everyone

Edited by squammer