squammer

Shimano 4000 or 5000 size reel? Inshore 7' Rod w/ mono

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

I mostly fish at night and just can't deal anymore with the wind knots I get with braid. I am getting a 7' Medium St Croix Tidemaster or Shimano Teramar Inshore rod for casting off the docks and rocks and off my boat. I am going to be using some thin mono (12-15 test) this season to prevent the headaches with windknots. I fish for striped bass and mostly catch mid 25 inch to low 30 inch fish. I also hate having a leader of mono from the braid -- all that line hanging out when casting is a pain. I'd rather just tie my mono right to the TA clip to the plug and flick my casts anywhere without looking for the leader length in the dark so as to not reel up the swivel into the guides.

I was going to get a Shimano Stradic or Saragossa reel (or maybe Tsunami Shield) for this rod but want to see what size reel I would need to hold the thicker mono line?

Thanks!

4000 stradic should be more than enough, its what i use for hold over bass in that range. It can hold a decent amount of 15lb mono.

5000 seems like overkill I use a 4000 shield on my 7' setup.  Not sure how sizes compare though.  My drag washers are shot so I'm probably gonna spring for a Stradic FK at some point in the future.

Okay great. 4000 it is. Maybe I’ll put some 20lb braid backing behind the 14 mono incase I get spooled on a big fish.

Also, I never dunk my reels but they can get a fair amount of salt water spray from being in the rod holders on my boat. I always spray down with freshwater hose after use. Would Stradic be sealed enough?

1 hour ago, CoffeeHangover said:

5000 seems like overkill I use a 4000 shield on my 7' setup.  Not sure how sizes compare though.  My drag washers are shot so I'm probably gonna spring for a Stradic FK at some point in the future.

How did you like the shield while you had it? Can’t you just replace the drag washers? How long did it last before becoming shot?

26 mins ago, squammer said:

Okay great. 4000 it is. Maybe I’ll put some 20lb braid backing behind the 14 mono incase I get spooled on a big fish.

Also, I never dunk my reels but they can get a fair amount of salt water spray from being in the rod holders on my boat. I always spray down with freshwater hose after use. Would Stradic be sealed enough?

I get sprayed alot from brackish and saltwater fishing and as long as you do regular maintenance and rinse after saltwater use you should be good for a long time.

I have a 3000, 4000 and 5000 Stradic, there is little downside IMO in going with the 5000, it is bigger and a little heavier but not much then the 4000, holds a decent amount more line. 

I'd also check out daiwa BG 3000, 3500 or 4000. Really hard to beat for 100 bucks. Hard to beat for 200 bucks too...  Will handle the spray no problem but will not handle full on dunking well. I have a 3000 on a really light 7'6" and a 4000 on a more heavy 8' and they are great. I also use a Spheros and love that so can't go wrong with the shimanos but you could save cash or get two reels for the price of one and have options....

4k and 5k are essentially the same size in the Stradic.  5k feels much better in the hand, imo, and can hold more line, which you'll need since you're using mono.  5k only holds 165 yards of 14 pound test mono.  

Gosa will be way too big.  

23 mins ago, TLap21 said:

4k and 5k are essentially the same size in the Stradic.  5k feels much better in the hand, imo, and can hold more line, which you'll need since you're using mono.  5k only holds 165 yards of 14 pound test mono.  

Gosa will be way too big.  

Yup.  4000 and 5000 are typically the same body and guts. 5000 has a deeper spool for more line and a more saltwater friendly knob on the handle.

17 hours ago, squammer said:

I mostly fish at night and just can't deal anymore with the wind knots I get with braid. I am getting a 7' Medium St Croix Tidemaster or Shimano Teramar Inshore rod for casting off the docks and rocks and off my boat. I am going to be using some thin mono (12-15 test) this season to prevent the headaches with windknots. I fish for striped bass and mostly catch mid 25 inch to low 30 inch fish. I also hate having a leader of mono from the braid -- all that line hanging out when casting is a pain. I'd rather just tie my mono right to the TA clip to the plug and flick my casts anywhere without looking for the leader length in the dark so as to not reel up the swivel into the guides.

I was going to get a Shimano Stradic or Saragossa reel (or maybe Tsunami Shield) for this rod but want to see what size reel I would need to hold the thicker mono line?

Thanks!

I am just trying to be helpful here before you bale on braided line. If wind knots are an issue for you that could be the fault of past equipment (rod or reel) or the pairing of such equipment. I have had both rods and reels that were very difficult to fish braid on consistently. The reels you are considering are near the top level of being very braid friendly. There are some other good ones out there too. If you have not tried reels like this with braid, I would suggest giving it a shot first before reverting to mono. The difference can be night and day. As a last resort, before going to mono, I would consider fireline original. If you can't fish this line without wind knots, mono will not help you. Fireline original can be called "the wind knot solution" for a ton of people. 

The leader issue you outlined is better served by using a knot in place of a swivel for your connection instead of going leaderless. Fishing no leader will come back to bite you in the butt at some point and you won't be popping line of on a run of the mill 25 incher. Those situations have a way on reserving themselves for larger fish. Again, just trying to be helpful. At least give this some thought.

1 hour ago, redfin said:

I am just trying to be helpful here before you bale on braided line. If wind knots are an issue for you that could be the fault of past equipment (rod or reel) or the pairing of such equipment. I have had both rods and reels that were very difficult to fish braid on consistently. The reels you are considering are near the top level of being very braid friendly. There are some other good ones out there too. If you have not tried reels like this with braid, I would suggest giving it a shot first before reverting to mono. The difference can be night and day. As a last resort, before going to mono, I would consider fireline original. If you can't fish this line without wind knots, mono will not help you. Fireline original can be called "the wind knot solution" for a ton of people. 

The leader issue you outlined is better served by using a knot in place of a swivel for your connection instead of going leaderless. Fishing no leader will come back to bite you in the butt at some point and you won't be popping line of on a run of the mill 25 incher. Those situations have a way on reserving themselves for larger fish. Again, just trying to be helpful. At least give this some thought.

Okay maybe fireline is the answer. Still hate that leader I have to constantly work with... Maybe I'll just go super short on that leader (like 1.5 feet). I tried the knot-to-knot attachment as well but when that knots rubs against the rod guides in a cast, it loosens and I've lost a bunch of lures.

I went to the Berkely FireLine website and found two kinds: FireLine Original and FireLine Crystal. What are the differences?