Best Line for a Penn Greenie

Rate this topic

BoLin

I have a Penn Greenie (circa about 1966) that I've been thinking about using again now and then.  The last time I put line on it (maybe 2000) I used 20# clear Ande.  Since then lines have evolved a bunch.  Can anyone suggest which of todays line(s) would work well on this relic?

1 hour ago, Buckscorider said:

20# original fireline works well on my old Penn.

Had trouble with the 832.

Same here.  I had nothing but problems using 832 with some of my older Penn reels.  Fireline resolved that problem.

Other thing with the 700's, don't fill to the lip. The spool design has a curved lip on the underside of the top. If you fill to the lip, on a cast the line will grab clumps and wind knots are almost a guarantee. I would say fill up to about 1/4 inch away.

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

Spinning reels made before braid became available are not braid friendly. And will give you nothing but problems. 20lb berkley fireline smoke is what works best on old spinners. Its a fused line, not braided. Its expensive, $36 for 300 yards. But beats respooling and wind knots. Plus it breaks somewhere in the 30's.

Thx all.  I'd heard somewhere that braid generally didn't work well with old spinners.  Thought I remembered something about a "modern" line that did well and as soon as it was mentioned I remembered it was Fireline.

I've used Fireline Crystal on smaller reels in the past and was happy with it.  Sounds like everyone is suggesting Original.  Any particular reason?

107nyc - Ah, the old curved lip.  Thx for the reminder.  Did the overfill thing once waaaay back.  Not an easy mess to forget.

Not to hijack my own thread but ... can anyone suggest the best grease to lube this old beast with?  It hasn't been cleaned / lubed in like 20 years.  Old lube is still soft and plentiful and everything moves nicely but I'd feel better starting it out fresh.

9 hours ago, BoLin said:

Thx all.  I'd heard somewhere that braid generally didn't work well with old spinners.  Thought I remembered something about a "modern" line that did well and as soon as it was mentioned I remembered it was Fireline.

I've used Fireline Crystal on smaller reels in the past and was happy with it.  Sounds like everyone is suggesting Original.  Any particular reason?

107nyc - Ah, the old curved lip.  Thx for the reminder.  Did the overfill thing once waaaay back.  Not an easy mess to forget.

Not to hijack my own thread but ... can anyone suggest the best grease to lube this old beast with?  It hasn't been cleaned / lubed in like 20 years.  Old lube is still soft and plentiful and everything moves nicely but I'd feel better starting it out fresh.

Any good marine grease is fine. Before you spool up with Fireline or any braid for that matter, run some friction tape/ hockey tape around the spool first. Or just put on a couple yrds. of mono first then tie to the braid. This will keep the braid from slipping around the spool. Try and wind the braid on tight.

11 hours ago, BoLin said:

If you really want marine grease..Yamalube is very good,,but it’s not required. Cals is a universal grease ,most famous for use with drag washers,but it can be used for gears no problem..I use Corrosion X oil for all reels,,line rollers etc..very good stuff.,they also make grease.. Whatever you do,don’t pack the reel with grease,not required..actually can give you issues. 

Make sure you keep the handle knob well oiled, Penn reel, Breakfree  CLP, Lucas, or any reel oil. They freeze up and the silver stock handles are unotainium. 

Any good reel grease like Penn's present blue grease or marine grease will work. Muscle grease is another good grease. It was used by Penn.  The original green's Spinfisher Lube  was a moly lube lube sold in a Penn tube. Auto supply stores carry it as moly lube for brake calipers.

You do not need to pack the gear housing full of grease. Use just enough to cover the gear teeth & the face of the main gear for the oscillator arm. Breakfree works on the ball bearing. Do not forget the gear shaft where it goes tru the gear housing and the anti reverse mechanism behind the main gear. Oil the ends of the bail wire too. Just a drop or two wii do. 

Keep in serviced and it will last a long time. I also would replace both bail springs and the rubber rotor brake part 21b-704 (50 plus years it has to be deteriorated).

• 3 weeks later...