Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

don't know how big the makos you are looking at. I have done a fair amount of blue water fly fishing.  For our big spinner and black-tips we use 13 wts.  The newer Sage's are very castable.  Another option is the Redington Predator they make a 14 and a 16 wt.  There is wide choice of reels that will fill the bill at many price points.  I have had great luck with the Sage Spectrum Max 11/12 reels.  Great drags and somewhat easy on the wallet.  

Most mahi 10 or 12 wts are enough the rare 30+ pound fish will make you wish you had more.   Most of the YFT tuna I have caught are in Baja and are 10 to 25 pounds--10 to 12 weights are perfect.  Years ago we caught YFT in the 50 to 60 pound range with 13 wts and that was perfect.  

Edited by bhorsley

Years back when I offshore fly rodded , I used 13 -17 weights !  The 15 was good for billfish up to 200# ! Tuna up to  75 -100 range but this varied on how skilled angler was !

Never took a blue , but caught some good size Strippers to 150# + and the fifteen proved more then enough .

Mako are strong fish , smaller up to 200 # or so may be Ok with 15 weight , bigger 17-20 weight !

i used Penn fly reels exclusively and they never failed , todays reels are probably a step up .

I also  preferred 8’ to 8.6 fly rods maintained better fish control and lifting power. 

we tried on some 100-150# bft.  no unexpected/surprise rod issues - even some good quality shorter 12 weights we had with us did okay as far as rod was concerned - the problem was a reel that could deliver the sustained drag over the course of enuf heavyweight backing (we found 80# power pro to work just fine as backing) to even get a chanse to dig in and fight back.

abel super did the best, but no fish landed out of about a dozen hook ups over a couple days fly experimenting.  

sometimes it was over pretty fast... the reel had no chanse.  it just could not even slow down the fish and was spooled in minutes.

makos won’t run quite as far as fast as a bft, but they’re definately big enuf and will run far enuf that i’d be wondering a lot more about reel (and line/backing combination) than rod.

Pick a Penn Int’l fly reel #5 , there  o longer made but I’ll bet they hold up fine ! I wouldn’t use over 60 braid backing that’s more then enough , give you more capacity!