mikez2

Spring Trout

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, bob_G said:

I was out early today in the rain. Tried several ponds, and got one nice bow for my efforts. Otherwise I was cold and soaked. However did see a small midge hatch. 

Troutin ain't easy.

20190408_104654.jpg

You are looking more and more like one of my favorite TV stars, Glen Guist…………...

14 hours ago, b-ware said:

You are looking more and more like one of my favorite TV stars, Glen Guist…………...

I didn't know who Glen was, so I googled him. 

You're a real smart ass Mr Bware, and I want those 2 minutes of my life back. :)

On 4/6/2019 at 10:24 AM, bob_G said:

I finally ran into some beautiful bows yesterday. They'll ultimately find their way into my smoker on Mon.

Hey Bob, glad you finally had a good showing out there. Would you mind passing on a good rainbow trout marinade for me to try before smoking a bunch and how you prep the fish before laying them out on the smoker. I got my bluefish recipe from HFG and that’s a winner so I’d like to try something new on trout. Thanks

10 mins ago, giggyfish said:

Hey Bob, glad you finally had a good showing out there. Would you mind passing on a good rainbow trout marinade for me to try before smoking a bunch and how you prep the fish before laying them out on the smoker. I got my bluefish recipe from HFG and that’s a winner so I’d like to try something new on trout. Thanks

No problem. Here's the one I used last night.

2 quarts of water

1/3 cup kosher salt

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 tablespoons fresh ground pepper

2 bay leaves

Heat water and combine all ingredients, making sure salt and sugar have dissolved. Allow to cool. Don't pour the hot mixture over the delicate trout.once cooled,  add trout, place in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours. Remove the trout and wash thoroughly under cold water. Dry with paper towels and allow to air dry at least 5 hours or until a pellicle forms. At this time they're ready for the smoker.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

I didn't know who Glen was, so I googled him. 

You're a real smart ass Mr Bware, and I want those 2 minutes of my life back. :)

I thought you would be proud, after all he makes a living off the land (OK swamp), he is a TV personality, well respected in his township and to top it all off, he is supposedly worth $200,000....

PS a smart ass is better than a dumb ass

Edited by b-ware

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

No problem. Here's the one I used last night.

2 quarts of water

1/3 cup kosher salt

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 tablespoons fresh ground pepper

2 bay leaves

Heat water and combine all ingredients, making sure salt and sugar have dissolved. Allow to cool. Don't pour the hot mixture over the delicate trout.once cooled,  add trout, place in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours. Remove the trout and wash thoroughly under cold water. Dry with paper towels and allow to air dry at least 5 hours or until a pellicle forms. At this time they're ready for the smoker.

Sounds like the same recipe for me but I add pineapple juice onion and garlic as well. 

8 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Sounds like the same recipe for me but I add pineapple juice onion and garlic as well. 

Hmmm, never thought of that.  Pineapple juice is a natural tenderizer.

Posted (edited) · Report post

45 mins ago, bob_G said:

Hmmm, never thought of that.  Pineapple juice is a natural tenderizer.

Recipe called for pineapple juice or orange juice as a substitute.

1 gallon water 1/2 cup sugar 3/4 cup brown sugar 3/4 cup kosher salt 1 TBSP. pepper 3 garlic cloves, crushed 2 TBSP. minced onion 3 bay leaves 1 cup pineapple juice (orange juice will work as a substitute)

Heat it up till it all dissolves 

Edited by SalmonAndStriper Stalker

caught a couple stockybows at my local riverhead.

caught one on a black spinner..  no more bites.

switched to a yellow spinner ... couple bites... caught another  .... no more bites.

switched to a smaller rainbow spinner... couple bites... then nothing on anything i tried.

A number of fish were rising for bugs... and there were some mayflies.   The trout I kept had something that looked like a mayfly in it.... probably a nymph though.

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

The wind has ruined a lot of trout fishing for me. Tough to freshwster fish for anything when knee high waves are rolling in.

I'm about to battle the elements Saturday evening and sunday for some cape trout