mikez2

Spring Trout

Rate this topic

74 posts in this topic

Mealworms or crawlers a few feet under a float are also a good bet if the wind isnt too crazy. Inline spinners are my fave trout lure.  

Couple chunks from yesterday. Pics don't do them justice. Not super long but wicked wide and thick.

Jumbo bluegills filled the slow times between watching an eagle, osprey two pair of redtails and a redshouldered hawk spar and dogfight over the pond.

Kinda slow. Water still cold, not many bugs or rises.

20190405_160734.jpg

20190405_161041.jpg

3 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Couple chunks from yesterday. Pics don't do them justice. Not super long but wicked wide and thick.

Jumbo bluegills filled the slow times between watching an eagle, osprey two pair of redtails and a redshouldered hawk spar and dogfight over the pond.

Kinda slow. Water still cold, not many bugs or rises.

20190405_160734.jpg

20190405_161041.jpg

Those are great looking fish. Nice fins and color. I got a couple fatto’s like that yesterday on a spoon. Tried to get a pic of a random big brown but it came off as I fumbled to get my phone from my wader pouch. 

my first trout trip yesterday (4.5.19) I manage to catch 1 trout and a had few wacks. Their were plenty of hopefuls but not much action. So  hours  later the fish that I place in the catch holder made out of mesh net made a great escape . So I end up leaving empty  handed and my toes were frozen. It was very cold yesterday. =(

It's been about 25 yrs since I fished spring trout.  When fishing small lures like a Kastmaster do you guys use a swivel and then tie on a short leader with a clip?  Or do you just use the swivel and clip that are attached to each other (no leader)?  Thanks fellas.

2 hours ago, frezzy said:

It's been about 25 yrs since I fished spring trout.  When fishing small lures like a Kastmaster do you guys use a swivel and then tie on a short leader with a clip?  Or do you just use the swivel and clip that are attached to each other (no leader)?  Thanks fellas.

I fish straight mono to a small snap swivel and clip lure directly to it. If I fished braid I would tie a short leader of fluoro/mono 6lb test with a tiny swivel at the front and a mini clip on the back 

Took advantage of the nice weather yesterday and had a pretty typical fishing experience.  Lost two metals almost immediately, probably on the same rock.  Snagged a pretty decent looking trout on a little swimmer, but just as we grabbed the net it managed to throw the hook off and embed it in a branch.  Netted a smallish trout on the same lure, threw it back and called it a day.  Lots of people out around the pond!

Fished in metrowest area last night for about two hours.   Fly fishing a wooly bugger.   Couple of small bass and sunfish, no trout.   Not sure if it was the water temps, spot fished out, or the fisherman.   No one else was catching so I'll give myself the benefit of the doubt.   Nice night to be out though.   And it was nice to grab some waders, rod, one box of flies, and drive 10 minutes to normally productive water.   Fish for two hours, drive home in 10 and leave the gear in the car.   Most of the time it is prep for two hours, trailer the boat 60-90 minutes to the salt, launch the boat, pull the boat out, drive home, clean the boat, and put away the gear.  

On 4/4/2019 at 1:58 PM, bob_G said:

I'm having a terrible spring on trout.  The never ending high sw winds are making my fav ponds impossible to fish. 

Much the same here.    First week started off with a bang.. and then... fizzle    I'm sure if I could get out in the mornings I'd be better off.

I was out early today in the rain. Tried several ponds, and got one nice bow for my efforts. Otherwise I was cold and soaked. However did see a small midge hatch. 

Troutin ain't easy.

20190408_104654.jpg