mikez2

Spring Trout

Rate this topic

87 posts in this topic

Fish on stringers in the pond  are OK!

Just hope there arent any snappers nearby if youre wading with the stringer attached to you!!  

I've never fished for trout. Can someone give me a  general direction for setup? Small metal lures?  topwater or something sinking? or live bait/sinker? I wish I saw this earlier - would be a perfect weekend plan with my kiddo.

12 hours ago, bob_G said:

Ive never heard that in regards to freshwater fish. I thimk it only applies to striped bass to prevent highgrading.

BTW, I'm having a terrible trout season so far. Heavy winds are part of the problem.  But the fish in the ponds I have seem to vanish right after being stocked. Odd no one is even fishing. The only trout I saw caught the other day was by an osprey.

You can't highgrade trout?

6 hours ago, oceanAddict said:

I've never fished for trout. Can someone give me a  general direction for setup? Small metal lures?  topwater or something sinking? or live bait/sinker? I wish I saw this earlier - would be a perfect weekend plan with my kiddo.

I prefer small in-line spinners and metal. Some prefer bait and wait, with powerbait. 

Stringers are OK for trout. These trout are often “put and take” and expected to be taken home. 

6 hours ago, oceanAddict said:

I used a carolina rig basically  1/2 oz Egg weight(Non-Lead) bead tied to small swivel. Tied on long leader 24 -36 "depending on the depth the fish are holding to size #6 bait hook or salmon egg hook. I used power bait nuggets(Green,pink,natural hatchery color)  or dough bait. U can also used corn and marshmallows. While you dead sticking  one rod you try catching them with lures like small gold or silver kastmasters.  Good luck Im sure their other methods but this is the one that works for me since i fish in a pond. 

14 mins ago, BillyBallGame said:

That first one is a beautiful fish/shot. 

That one was all lit up And that was the first fish of 2019 for me. Not a bad way to start it off

Does anyone have any experience fishing weir river or bound brook in Scituate ? iv been scoping it out via google maps and it looks like both run through behind peoples backyards.. does anyone have any pointers on places to park, side of the road or particular parking lots they use ? if you can DM i would really appreciate it.  I just don't wanna step any anyone's toes and plow through peoples backyards haha. I'm not asking for anyone's specific fishing spots either, just looking for some friendly advice before I make the attempt. Also does anyone have an success with spinners or lures in these waters ? 

Appreciate all the advice iv been given so far, this forum is phenomenal! 

4 hours ago, bob_G said:

I'm having a terrible spring on trout.  The never ending high sw winds are making my fav ponds impossible to fish. 

It's been hard but I have been managing on the southern shorelines of the ponds

16 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

It's been hard but I have been managing on the southern shorelines of the ponds

Did I see you today in mashpee?

1 min ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Nope not me. Wont be down there until probably next weekend. 

Ok.  I used to be able to catch them even in heavy winds.  Just not happening this year. Lot of sun today and tomorrow so maybe they'll turn on after lunch tomorrow.