wasabi_VA

Cold/cool weather kayak footwear?

29 posts in this topic

Once spring/summer gets warm enough I have some river shoes to wear in the kayak. But in fall/winter/early spring I wear my hunting/hiking boots. The problem I'm having is that most of my put-in locations are bankside where my boots get muddy and I drag that mud into the boat. It then starts to spread, gets on my rods, sand gets on/in my reels, etc. I'm thinking a more streamline pair of cold weather booties or something might allow less debris to cling to them? What do you guys wear?

NRS Paddle Wetshoe. 100% worth it. Also, if you're wearing hunting/hiking boots you might not be dressed properly for the conditions. Not sure what the water temps get down to around you, but I recommend picking up a dry suit or at least dry bottoms and a dry top if you haven't already. 

Plenty of affordable hard soled  wetsuit boot options out there.. 

I use Mares Dive Boot Classic 5mm  ......35 bucks

I use these alone with shorts & also as my dry suit boots...... they're the same size as my street shoe,  no  problems fitting the dry suit bootie...

mares-classic-5mm-dive-boot.jpg.88fc9ed3d0298d6ebe461582fed5d2cf.jpg

Do the NRS or Mares boots need to be ordered a size larger than usual to fit a warm sock? I could see myself using this when air temps are in the 30’s 

2 pairs of socks for me ... silk wickers and wool hiking ... then still want more space, too tight restricts blood flow and it's the warmed blood from your core that keeps your extremities warm(er)

2 hours ago, wasabi_VA said:

Do the NRS or Mares boots need to be ordered a size larger than usual to fit a warm sock? I could see myself using this when air temps are in the 30’s 

I have the Mares 5mm pictured above. I wear an 11.5 in almost all shoes and ordered those booties in a sz 12. They fit well with or without the dry suit. They have a lot of stretch being neoprene. They are pretty true to size but 1/2 size up wouldnt hurt. 

2 hours ago, wasabi_VA said:

I can only speak for myself, i already had the boots before i got my drysuit so i tried them & they felt fine, i  wear the same as africaster, ....

these things stretch, i did not find it necessary to up size.... It all depends on who you ask though..

So I am split 50/50 when I shoe shop and fit either 10.5 or 11, so am not sure if I should get the 11 or 12? I won't have anybody in town with a pair of these to try on. Getting a size 12 so I will have room for a warm sock almost sounds too big. Hmmm...

Posted (edited) · Report post

It all depends on the individual. Since February at night it's been 3 pairs of 100% wool socks. Read the label with wool socks. Some will only be 50% wool. For me that's junk. Must be 100% wool to get the full insulation. Absolutely no cotton for me. Tonight will be in the 50's till the morning with some wind...rare for this time of the year.....could get away with two pairs of wool socks but I just stick with 3 for now. Rarely am I ever complaining about feet are too hot it's always cold toes. If it's windy in the cold even with 3 pairs of socks doesn't hurt to put in a pair of  feet warmers hot packs as well. Extra socks and foot warmers are always worth packing in the vehicle. I also wear 6-7mm wet suit boots over my dry suit or two piece outfit. Teva's are great but offers no insulation value when you need it in the winter and early or late season. Bare and Mares makes a nice 7mm boot that is very wide and can fit over a dry suit with 3 pairs of thick wool socks as well as neoprene  5mm stocking-foot waders.

Edited by The Riddler

7 hours ago, wasabi_VA said:

I can't speak for NRS.  Only Mares and Bare.  I am a size 9.5-10 boot and just stick with size 10. Plenty of room for me and I am a 3E boot width.

12 hours ago, wasabi_VA said:

Once spring/summer gets warm enough I have some river shoes to wear in the kayak. But in fall/winter/early spring I wear my hunting/hiking boots. The problem I'm having is that most of my put-in locations are bankside where my boots get muddy and I drag that mud into the boat. 

I have a few areas like this  both fresh & salt,  my solution, regardless what i have on my feet  is to sit down side saddle  & rinse them off good before swinging your feet into the kayak.. float ot a few yards into deeper water if you have to,  easy to do...

Ive used both wading boots & the dive boots here, mud doesn't care what your wearing  it sticks to everything......

Is this NRS Paddle Wetshoe waterproof??? I guess I assumed it was but the NRS website doesn't include that in the description. If I wear these in cold water, and my feet get wet, that isn't what I'm hoping to achieve...