bido

Pure Bred Striped Bass

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Received this below viia email from a fish market in NJ I visit occasionally. What exactly is a pure bred striped bass?

Are they farm raising real striped bass now?  

We have wild tilefish, lemon sole, grey sole, haddock, codfish, whiting, beautiful beeliner snapper, black sea bass, swordfish, and tuna.  We have farmed tilapia, branzini, arctic char, Atlantic and king salmons.  Looking ahead, I think we will be trying a new farmed striped bass.  We are prevented from selling wild striped bass by ridiculous New Jersey law, and the farmed product which has been available is a hybrid of striped bass and a perch.  There is a new product coming to market which is a purebred striped bass.  I have tried it and seems closer to the authentic flavor.  It isn't cheap, but I think I will try offering it here soon.  In shellfish we have lobsters, shrimp, sea scallops, clams, mussels, cockles and Blue Point and Village Bay oysters.  The kitchen is producing grilled vegetables, sweet peppers stuffed with shrimp, scallops, rice and mozzarella, and bruscetta. 

It is a true striped bass from, West coast broodstock, being farm raised in California . The product is reared in "open ocean" pens in the manner that salmon are currently raised around the world. I found it to be a good alternative to wild striped bass in flavor and texture. 

12 hours ago, bido said:

Interesting. Thanks.  Any farms like this on the East Coast?   

There are none to my knowledge. I was told by a representative of the company that their operation was the only one of its type currently producing true Striped Bass, raised in the open ocean, for commercial sale.Don't blame these guys, the demand for the product is substantial. California could care less about their wild Striped Bass stocks, they have been trying to decimate them for years.

13 hours ago, bido said:

Any farms like this on the East Coast?   

Yup... if its not already up and running it will be soon.  From what I understand the plan was to position it out in the vicinity of the coimbra and raise striped bass in open ocean pens.. 

It was at shinnecock last season..

You can Google manna fish farms and you'll see all about it...

IMHO... while it may take some pressure off the commercial rape of the species, which I am adamantly opposed to.. it will also be stocking the seafood suppliers with FARMED fish, which I am also adamantly opposed to.. those fish are fed s#!t pellet food that contains who knows what.. antibiotics, hormones, GMOs... I won't even feed farmed fish to my dogs.. 

On 3/30/2019 at 6:05 AM, Justfishin said:

It is a true striped bass from, West coast broodstock, being farm raised in California . The product is reared in "open ocean" pens in the manner that salmon are currently raised around the world. I found it to be a good alternative to wild striped bass in flavor and texture. 

True it is a Striped Bass...........False that it is raised in the ocean in California. There are no Ocean farmed Stripers in Ca.

Santa Monica Seafood gets some bass from Mexico ( Baja California) and the rest of their Wild Stripers are  Longlined off the  Virginia / Maryland coasts :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

striper.png

striper1.png