Alexey

Early season cold water bass behavior

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Do the early bass that are just starting to bite in Long Island behave differently now than they do in the fall?  What bait are they looking for?  Are they faster or slower? How do you adjust your fishing technique for early bass?

2 hours ago, Alexey said:

Do the early bass that are just starting to bite in Long Island behave differently now than they do in the fall?  What bait are they looking for?  Are they faster or slower? How do you adjust your fishing technique for early bass?

Yes...

Anything they can find at this point.. spearing are around and some other bait too.. squid should be making an appearance in the next few weeks as well...

Slower and lazy

Get creative. Show them something they cant refuse, or piss them off enough to strike out of agression.. (some guys may prefer bait.. I don't enjoy bait fishing for bass, at all)

2 hours ago, pakalolo said:

S  L  O  W     shallow  mud bottom

What does mud refer to?  Using a lure that kicks up mud?  Or seeking out muddy bottom?

42 mins ago, Alexey said:

What does mud refer to?  Using a lure that kicks up mud?  Or seeking out muddy bottom?

The latter.  Shallows with dark (muddy) bottoms warm quickly on sunny days.

Lots of good advice here. In my experience, mud bottom shallows warm up first in the spring. Consequently, there’s more life there. Small fish, worms, crabs, mantis shrimp. They’re all on the mud flats in spring. So are the bass. I love surface lures in the spring but sometimes you have to experiment a bit to get yourself dialed in. You can catch fish on muddy flats throughout the entire season but the big fish move deeper as water temps hit mid 60’s.  Then the shallows usually only hold schoolies. Still a blast to catch on light tackle.

Mud flats on mid outgoing tide with top water seems to produce best for me. I’ve caught quite a few in the 34 inch range and some days can see great action. It’s soooo fun to start the season with willing participants!! Tight lines boys!!!!

Mantis shrimp I think are the key bait of substance for these early season fish especially in the western sound.

I haven't caught a fish yet this year and its actually late for the group I fish with.

That being said slow works but I have caught fish cranking in a offering when necessary.

My point is have you ever a mantis shrimp scoot across the bottom, they don't move slowly even in cold water.

There are no absolutes 

3-4 inch rubba on a jig head or a bucktail work very well this time of year again just my .02

On 3/29/2019 at 9:49 PM, Alexey said:

I find that the real early bass in the Boston area respond well to small chartreuse jerkbaits and sluggos and of course sea worms( but bait’s cheating and IMHO not fun).