chessie_yaker

Crabbing 2019

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

So it’s a little early, but I was just scouting what the water is doing down near bishops head for an end of April trip and the water is around 5f warmer than usual. Considering last winter we were hit with some pretty deep cold spells that killed a lot of the local mud dwellers, this year may be an early treat. Hopefully by this time next month they will be awake and up near KI in the alley which means further south we will be steaming some crabs on the campfire for the open of early trophy rock season. 

Good luck and full baskets!

5E77033E-0913-4B52-AA13-59454128AAB8.jpeg.406610e92aef86bbd149015a75fb6afc.jpeg

Might be an early year, as I saw the first live soft crabs up here in Mass at my local fish market yesterday ($6/each). Normally the first ones arrive around May 1, so it is about 3-4 weeks early! They were pretty nice looking too.

3 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Might be an early year, as I saw the first live soft crabs up here in Mass at my local fish market yesterday ($6/each). Normally the first ones arrive around May 1, so it is about 3-4 weeks early! They were pretty nice looking too.

There’s a good chance they came from the south end of the bay. Moon phase is just after the new moon now so they are probably nice and soft and ready to be battered and fried. Time to sharpen the shears up! 

I may grab one tomorrow if they still have them. I have a pound of steamers from there, and that would be a good thing to go with them on the night I eat without Donna.

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

I may grab one tomorrow if they still have them. I have a pound of steamers from there, and that would be a good thing to go with them on the night I eat without Donna.

Ever try one dipped in pancake batter then fried? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

While I will not turn away a deep fried crab, I much prefer them dusted in seafood breader (read: pumped up corn flour and baking soda) and then sauteed in butter and olive oil.

I bought one today, so we will see.........

Edited by Steve in Mass

So far the reports are pretty good for it being this early in the season. Definitely a nice surprise after the just bad early season last year with the Jan/Feb freeze killing the local holdovers and the warm coming slower than molasses on a cold winters day. The warmer water temps are helping the efforts southern end of the eastern shore and some smaller crabs are being caught by OC. 

A friend who’s spot is down near the Nanticoke went out Easter, braving the morning chill and low temps, and did pretty well after sunrise. Almost 5 dozen keepers in a couple hours ranging from 5-7.5” with a lot of small throwbacks. The bigguns were hard and full and the others were pretty nice. I’ll be at my spot on the other side of Deale island from his this weekend where I hope to have similar luck. 

Nothing has been reported from Taylors point north yet, but south of the point on the eastern shore- shallow is key. Working 3-5’ a little after sunrise seems to be the best bet. Not warm enough to be paddling out an hour before sunrise just yet and I’m ok with that.