Ultralight spinning, fly rod

fishfinder401

So I have been looking at making myself an ultralight rod from a fly blank, thinking 3wt or 4wt, and was wondering how it would work to throw a fly reel on there from time to time, when doing something like hiking, or going somewhere where a multi use rod could be handy. 

has anyone tried something similar? is there something I am missing as to why it wouldn't work? 

Tennesee handle with sliders with a size 12 or 16 casting style guide ring pushed a bit further out choked down quickly would work fine.

Make a few test casts with the guides taped on to see if you are getting too much slap or blow by.

I've used my bfs casting rod with a spinner and it's fine (ground off the trigger on the reel seat)  

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

6 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Tennesee handle with sliders with a size 12 or 16 casting style guide ring pushed a bit further out choked down quickly would work fine.

Make a few test casts with the guides taped on to see if you are getting too much slap or blow by.

I've used my bfs casting rod with a spinner and it's fine (ground off the trigger on the reel seat)  

interesting, didn't think of that style of handle at all, ive never tried one. what are the downsides? 

1 hour ago, fishfinder401 said:

What would happen if i tried to fly fish with just a normal spinning rod handle? Does it just get in the way too much?

you can tape fly reel to 6' spining rod 2 pieces and it will work,if you need spining rod just put the spining reel on.

will not be perfect but it will work.

one time they made rod with 2 seats for spining  and fly reel.