Finally took the plunge

Okay perhaps that's not the best title in a kayak forum. But I did finally purchase a kayak. I will only be using in freshwater lakes. I went to budget route on my first one to see how I like it. After reading tons of reviews bought the lifetime tahoma 100 a Carlisle predator paddle and a NRS Chinook PFD.  I'll pick the kayak up Sunday and hopefully take it out the following week.

Screenshot_20190328-114550.png

If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. But, if you teach a man to fish, he will spend all his money on fishing tackle and won't be able to afford to eat!

12 mins ago, Bulldog said:

Welcome to the plastic Navy, good judgement on starting in with short boat and budget to see if you get a feel for the sport.....Jack

That was exactly my intention.  I think I'm gonna love it.  Also committed not to order until I lost 15#'s, so that was good too

If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. But, if you teach a man to fish, he will spend all his money on fishing tackle and won't be able to afford to eat!

8 mins ago, Thumb-Burner said:

That was exactly my intention.  I think I'm gonna love it.  Also committed not to order until I lost 15#'s, so that was good too

Congratulations on shedding the blubber, it takes some doing.  What was it? Diet, exercise, or both?

5 mins ago, fishhappy said:

Congratulations on shedding the blubber, it takes some doing.  What was it? Diet, exercise, or both?

Thanks!  Twenty to go.  First six or seven went with just diet, beyond that required an elliptical trainer 4-5 days a week. 

11 mins ago, Thumb-Burner said:

Thanks!  Twenty to go.  First six or seven went with just diet, beyond that required an elliptical trainer 4-5 days a week. 

I’m in the same boat. I lift weights with my youngest son every other day, but I’m not losing any weight, stronger yes, less tubby, no. So I have 20 to go and more.

Anything special about the diet?

1 min ago, fishhappy said:

I’m in the same boat. I lift weights with my youngest son every other day, but I’m not losing any weight, stronger yes, less tubby, no. So I have 20 to go and more.

Anything special about the diet?

Mostly portion control.  Don't eat everything they give you at restaurant.  I'm pretty disciplined about entering everything I eat and my exercise in MyFitnessPal app.  If I blow it one meal, I skimp the next.  Try to stay inside calories total for day on app

7 mins ago, Thumb-Burner said:

Mostly portion control.  Don't eat everything they give you at restaurant.  I'm pretty disciplined about entering everything I eat and my exercise in MyFitnessPal app.  If I blow it one meal, I skimp the next.  Try to stay inside calories total for day on app

Do you use a watch or just a phone?

On 3/29/2019 at 8:49 AM, fishhappy said:

Lay off the soda and juices. Drink plenty of water. Also lay off processed foods and don’t eat food with lots of sugar. You’ll lose weight quick that way. There’s a lot to it. But this would be a start. 

Dr Joel Furman wrote a book called eat to live. Basically said don’t count calories. Eat as much salad, fruit, vegetables as you want.  You have 21 meals a week. If you follow the plan for 18 meals you will need to buy new smaller clothes. Also all food can be obtained in a super market. Carbs  and processed foods are the  enemy. Good luck with your wait loss.