Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob_G

Osprey show off

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Fishing a kettlehole pond today, when the hatchery truck rolls up and releases beautiful rainbows. They vanished immediately and were impossible to catch.  Mr Osprey watched the proceedings, swooped down from his perch, and effortlessly nailed dinner.

33 mins ago, Joe G said:

Bob......are the osprey still nesting atop the RR bridge?

No yet Joe. They just arrived the other day. However they're already on the nesting poles in Back River.

14 mins ago, bob_G said:

No yet Joe. They just arrived the other day. However they're already on the nesting poles in Back River.

Any birds on that pole off Old Dam Road...….just a short way off that dirt cutoff parking spot?

Just now, Joe G said:

Any birds on that pole off Old Dam Road...….just a short way off that dirt cutoff parking spot?

Yes. I drove by yesterday and there was a bird on the nest.

mid 90s I'm fishing a live pogy at the Plymouth jetty... yep you guessed it, an osprey swooped down, grabbed the pogy and started to fly off with my line still attached... probably made it 50 feet in the air before it felt the tension in the line and released the pogy... the talon marks went clean through, pretty impressive... 

Posted (edited) · Report post

my little herring run is like a mutual of Omaha show. osprey, egrets, gulls of all kinds, owls, fox, racoons etc all feasting....last year I got two cool videos of osprey picking off herring...close enough that you can see them fly away with it in there talons. these are from the other day..

A1207302-35FB-4C72-88CE-5DDB4B833F97.jpeg.57d270b0e892f848e091fb4e1f3dba1f.jpegherring 2019.MOV

Edited by HugeDinghy

We have several osprey nests in our area, far from the salt or big lakes.

One pair seems to specialize in stocked trout, especially around 4th of July when the shallow put n take pond gets too warm and trout gasp at the surface or go belly up.

I've sat in my lawn chair at the town beach and watch them return half a dozen times in an afternoon. Hungry chicks begging for those yummy rainbows. 

They are around Eel pond/ Back river in bourne.........I Have been seeing them while fishing.......Interestingly I Saw one osprey flying with a fish.......Would have loved to have known the species of fish............ 

One thing I think is cool with Ospreys is how they start off with the fish  crossways of their body, but once they start flying to their nest or perch, they turn the fish lengthwise so that it is more aerodynamic.

2 hours ago, robc22 said:

They are around Eel pond/ Back river in bourne.........I Have been seeing them while fishing.......Interestingly I Saw one osprey flying with a fish.......Would have loved to have known the species of fish............ 

White perch. :bucktooth: