Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
coolhandfluke

decent party boat for tog ?

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

On 3/30/2019 at 7:49 AM, b4loran said:

If you want to catch Tog on a head boat you need to mug them. Don't be afraid to move and slide in next to them. 

best advice i have seen on this site. 

8 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

best advice i have seen on this site. 

There's something to this but what it is exactly? The Old men told me the back corner was the go to spot before the boat set sail. They were right, but why? It must be how the captain anchors up to the structure?

Posted (edited) · Report post

43 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

There's something to this but what it is exactly? The Old men told me the back corner was the go to spot before the boat set sail. They were right, but why? It must be how the captain anchors up to the structure?

for the same reason it's better to take a six pack. Lumps are only so big  and some times the fish are not all over it. some times they are.  

Edited by crazybellringer

2 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

you answered your own question.   yes, the captain knows the wreck he is setting on.  using the double anchor he places the boat dam near exactly where he wants it. lots of times he caters to his best clients . if he has a certain group that continually fishes his boat, he knows where they are sitting and he can see where the fish are schooling.   some pieces are big enough to satisfy the whole boat, but not many. I posted 1 time on the old captain robbins what happened to us.   another time on the captain cal, the only fish caught were from the bow of the boat, and that's where his 6 friends were set up at and they would not allow anyone invade there space.   those guys caught all day and the rest of the boat caught very few.    that day we only hit two wrecks because the bow produced so well.

Edited by coolhandfluke

1 min ago, coolhandfluke said:

you answered your own question.   yes, the captain knows the wreck he is setting on.  using the double anchor he places the boat dam near exactly where he wants it. lots of times he caters to his best clients . if he has a certain group that continually fishes his boat, he knows where they are sitting and he can see where the fish are schooling.   some pieces are big enough to satisfy the whole boat, but not many. I posted 1 time on the old captain robbins what happened to us.   another time on the captain cal, the only fish caught were from the bow of the boat, and that's where his 6 friends were set up at and they would not allow anyone invade there space.   those guys caught all day and the rest of the boat caught very few.    that day we only hit two wrecks because the bow produced so well.

so yes a six pack is the way to go if you don't mind the larger cost.

Just nut up and go to the bow if that is where you want to be.  What is the worst that happens... some old fart retiree gives you a dirty look?

The idea that the captain can so precisely park a boat over a piece of structure so it favors one section of the rail is fake news.

Boat stops you drop down if you don't have hard bottom move. They ain't putting the regulars on the fish and shutting out the rest of the boat.

There is a reason to fish the bow and maybe the regulars know what they are doing so they catch more than the rest of the boat.

7 hours ago, Kml said:

The idea that the captain can so precisely park a boat over a piece of structure so it favors one section of the rail is fake news.

Boat stops you drop down if you don't have hard bottom move. They ain't putting the regulars on the fish and shutting out the rest of the boat.

There is a reason to fish the bow and maybe the regulars know what they are doing so they catch more than the rest of the boat.

I fished the Searcher a couple times some years ago. I think the Capt passed away. They used to say he looked like a blackfish.  It was the only boat i ever fished where the capt would adjust the ropes in inches so that other fares would get on the fish.  I  thought he moved a bit too much.  Caught some fish both times so it wasn't bad.  No other boat i've been on would adjust the ropes while  a chew was going on.

11 mins ago, hobobob said:

KML, you obviously have no idea the ill sh** that's been going on. It's not fake news.  

:laugh: :laugh: :beatin:

4 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

I fished the Searcher a couple times some years ago. I think the Capt passed away. They used to say he looked like a blackfish.  It was the only boat i ever fished where the capt would adjust the ropes in inches so that other fares would get on the fish.  I  thought he moved a bit too much.  Caught some fish both times so it wasn't bad.  No other boat i've been on would adjust the ropes while  a chew was going on.

Harry Philips on the old Pilot II out of Sheepshead Bay used to do that many years ago.  That man was a walking blackfish trap.

On 4/2/2019 at 2:03 PM, hurricane1091 said:

Lots of times it has to do with where the boats sonar transducer is located.  That one little item will decide how a boat is anchored on a piece more than anything else.  Stern is not always best.  But what do I know?  Only black fishing about 63 years now. 

Edited by Spigola