Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
coolhandfluke

decent party boat for tog ?

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

hmm.  I didn't realize it also sucked up north from me.    I just cant justify jumping on a private charter for 4 fish at 150.00 a man.  

How much do you save by going on a head boat? 

15 mins ago, Tom T said:

:snr:

If the fishing were real good I'd have no problem doing a c&r trip for tog.  

In fact, I basically did last year with a one fish limit in September.

How many fish I can kill never weighs into my decision of where or what I am fishing for. 

Or how much it may cost to do so.

The spring tog fishery should be c&r only anyway. 

In terms of catching, you don't have an advantage on a 6 pack @$150 vs a head boat.  If you suck at catching on a head boat you will suck on the charter.  Fish whatever/wherever you are most comfortable and enjoy the experience- nothing to do with saving a few pennies because you think you will catch an extra keeper.  

well the charters have a lot more wrecks available to set on which is a huge advantage. party boats need to find the bigger pieces.   we wreck fish for flounder and sea bass but the boat wont be in until may.  by no means am I a tog sharpie, but have caught my fair share.  I was just looking to wet a line, feel a good pull and have a decent shot at it is why I posed the original post.

the porgy is always an option, but once again he is limited to certain wrecks to please everyone.

I remember going on the old capt robbins for an 8 hour trip and the back of the boat never felt a piece of structure until the last drop which lasted 15 minutes and 6 of us each caught 2 keepers then we headed in.   his friends sat at the rail mid boat and they caught fish all day. front and the back basically nothing.  so sure, he pleased some guys , but obviously he set on small pieces .

5 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Went on big mohawk. Guy moved around a bit but it was slow and everyone seemed like a regular and just complained that "it ain't like it used to be"

^^^ This is why @TimS does what he does and Captains still shake their heads. I hope these Captains can make a living with some other trade when it finally dries up.

I'd fish south in April. Chances are the water will be a little warmer and the tog would be a little more willing to chew. 

10 hours ago, Kml said:

How many fish I can kill never weighs into my decision of where or what I am fishing for. 

Or how much it may cost to do so.

I saw your picture in last month's edition of Gentleman Angler. Nice trout.

coolidge-fishing.jpg.a5beeb9e1f3328e11e8152d339fd33ab.jpg

28 mins ago, Sparky said:

KML at the Johnstown Fishing Club impoundment. :howdy:

Sounds Classy when you put it like that. 

That’s no worm on that hook sir. 

20 hours ago, coolhandfluke said:

well the charters have a lot more wrecks available to set on which is a huge advantage. party boats need to find the bigger pieces.   we wreck fish for flounder and sea bass but the boat wont be in until may.  by no means am I a tog sharpie, but have caught my fair share.  I was just looking to wet a line, feel a good pull and have a decent shot at it is why I posed the original post.

the porgy is always an option, but once again he is limited to certain wrecks to please everyone.

I remember going on the old capt robbins for an 8 hour trip and the back of the boat never felt a piece of structure until the last drop which lasted 15 minutes and 6 of us each caught 2 keepers then we headed in.   his friends sat at the rail mid boat and they caught fish all day. front and the back basically nothing.  so sure, he pleased some guys , but obviously he set on small pieces .

If you want to catch Tog on a head boat you need to mug them. Don't be afraid to move and slide in next to them.