awall630

Visiting LBI early May

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi all.  I’ll be visiting LBI for a wedding and staying in the Spray Beach area the second weekend in May.  I normally fish CT and RI.  I’m not looking for specific spots, but if anyone could help point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.  I’ll be toting a light 9’ setup and some plugs.. hoping to break away from the girlfriend and friends early in the morning to wet a line.

Fish will be in the area that time of year. Walk east until you find yourself standing in the surf. At that point youll want to walk either North or South (doesnt really matter). Youll be fishing soft structure unlinke CT and RI. Theres some great youtube videos and books out there on how to read the beach and soft structure.

Plugs to have, bucktails, sp minnow, mag darter, pencils, metal lips and whatever else you have should be good.

May is a fruitful month. You have fish out front and out back.

Go to the local tackle shop to buy some stuff and ask them some question about where you should start. Oh yea and fish at night so you dont have to worry about the gf or friends.

Good time to be on lbi. Chunked meat will keep you busy with blues (usually). Throw medium /large swim baits at last light and first light. 

Fishermen's headquarters and surf City bait tackle will have updated reports.  

You’ll want to hit 1st light or final hour of the day.  Plugs, swimmers, etc. will work well.  South end of the island is where I fish in spring.   Bunker chunks and heads work well in late April through early June.  If you get enough time - any part of barnegat inlet at lighthouse can also work well.