flies-n-plugs

Fish finder powering

11 posts in this topic

So, I’m in the process of rigging my new Humminbird g2 helix 5 di gps in my Ocean Kayak ultra 4.3.  I’m using the transducer recess/scupper utilizing a portion or the supplied bracket and some stainless all thread to mount the transducer since I couldn’t bring myself to spend $80 on the plastic mount from Humminbird.  Now to my power question... I have 2 8ah Cabelas SLA batteries.  I was planning on putting both into a pelican case and wiring them in parallel connected through a waterproof cable gland to a sae connector so I can charge with my battery tender easily.  Is it overkill to run the two batteries for a normal day on the water?  Will one battery provide enough power for a day?  Thanks for any input 

5 mins ago, njfish4life said:

Cool idea.. what charger do you use for the battery?

I use one of these and just add the connectors. Also be sure to use some dielectric grease in the plugs too. 

2 hours ago, RobEnglish said:

I use one of these and just add the connectors. Also be sure to use some dielectric grease in the plugs too. 

Rob, what does the grease do? Make it easier to take pull the plugs when your done?

Also, do you have any empty ports on the back of your ff? If so do you seal them up with anything so no water enters the empty slot?

4 mins ago, kevbo1756 said:

Rob, what does the grease do? Make it easier to take pull the plugs when your done?

Also, do you have any empty ports on the back of your ff? If so do you seal them up with anything so no water enters the empty slot?

The grease goes on the connections to keep the moisture out and they don't corrode. I don't have any open ports either. Everything is sealed. 

On 3/28/2019 at 8:32 AM, flies-n-plugs said:

So, I’m in the process of rigging my new Humminbird g2 helix 5 di gps in my Ocean Kayak ultra 4.3.  I’m using the transducer recess/scupper utilizing a portion or the supplied bracket and some stainless all thread to mount the transducer since I couldn’t bring myself to spend $80 on the plastic mount from Humminbird.  Now to my power question... I have 2 8ah Cabelas SLA batteries.  I was planning on putting both into a pelican case and wiring them in parallel connected through a waterproof cable gland to a sae connector so I can charge with my battery tender easily.  Is it overkill to run the two batteries for a normal day on the water?  Will one battery provide enough power for a day?  Thanks for any input 

I think an 8-10 Ah battery is fine for a day but note that the battery will have a LOT longer lifespan, long term, if you don't go under roughly 70% charge.  So it's not like your cell phone lithium battery.  Lead acid don't last if they get significantly discharged.  For my Lowrance Hook5 I can do a four to six hour trip and stay better than 60% ...but you may be different.  If so, it makes a lot of sense to use both and wire them parallel.  And yes, the gland fitting and SAE trailer-lite or trolling-motor connectors as terminus for both your kayak wiring and battery charger back home.  You pop out the pelican case, hook up to battery, and then right back into kayak.

Your fish finder will be able to display battery voltage.  Look up charts online for what voltage equates to about 60-70 percent of charge.  And don't go below that.