NewWaveDave

Fixing hole in aluminum pontoon

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hi folks!

I am in the process of stripping the old bottom coat and primer off a used pontoon I bought in preparation for an acid wash then barrier coat then bottom coat. On the bottom of one of the pontoons there is a repair job consisting of some black rubber looking goop. Any ideas on the best way to address this? Thanks for your time!

The old way is to patch, rivet, then seal.   

Is it a big spot.  A hit with a dent?  A scrape away bald spot.  

Plan B.  Prep area. Put some exposy on it, then put a fiberglass matt, then epoxy over the matt.   Give it a bit of heat from a lamp to keep it warm while it cures.

I used those sea green repair sticks to small leaks.  Clean, heat the area, and let the green stick melt over the spot.

Look up "crabella's" aluminum boat patch.   Heard it's bad to say the sister store to Brass Pro hops on here......

I did expoxy mesh repair to a cracked open car oil pan.  Held for 4 years until I got sick of driving the car....  Still doesn't leak after 3 years of not having the car now either...........

If its aluminum use "alumiweld". Google it and You Tube vids. I am a trained, above water and below water, welder/ship-fitter and I swear by that stuff. Lot cheaper to make repairs with it than have to go out and by a TIG welder for home.

Go get some sheet aluminum and braze it together. All that other stuff, other than the welding will eventually probably at the wrong time fail. Welding will cost you money, some times more than the boat is worth.

Have to see the repair to really tell you how to fix it.

Do it right the first time.  Get it welded.  Don’t use regular bottom paint.  Then look into a barrier coat and paint for aluminum.   

Get it welded wont cost as much as you  think.   Couple hundred at most. I have gotten skeggs rewelded on lower unit  for less then 100 bucks and cavitation  plates fixed to for cheaper. ..

Gonna go with the alumiweld option. I am using barrier coat for aluminum paint and ablation bottom coat for aluminum paint. Wish I had the money to get it welded....using the boat to start a business and as everyone (even the books) said, it is costing more than my business plan said it would. After watching youtube videos of the alumiweld, i'm sold. Just not gonna use the propane torch, gonna use the more expensive and hotter one.

Thanks for all your input!

David

Just wanted to let everyone know that when I went under the pontoon and ground the black gunk off over the hole, the hole had been "welded." The workmanship looked good so I left it alone. Did buy a MAP gas cylinder and a propane head and some flux cored brazing rods before grinding the black gunk off. Otherwise, put on 4 coats of Total Boat grey barrier coat on one pontoon. Gonna scuff it up with 80 grit and put a 5th on before putting the AF on. Plan on putting 5 coats of barrier on the other pontoon as well. In total, this project is going to require 5 gallons of barrier coat. 

Now that I am done grinding the old factory bottom coat and primer off the pontoons, I am going to state THAT SUCKED. The safety goggles kept most of the crud out of my eyes, but when I was lying on my back grinding the stuff off the underside of the pontoons stuff still got under the goggles. The dust masks quickly became saturated, and when I tried to wear splash goggles, they just fogged up and I couldn't see jack. But I'm done with the worst of the grinding, Just the motor transom and some detail brushing on the second pontoon around the welds. 

The barrier coat on the first pontoon feels great, kinda thick like shark skin. Because I did the acid etching prior to painting, I believe it is gonna stick well. Lots of work but the boat looks much better.

Thanks for your help!

David Adams

Jersey Select Oysters