" High End" Crates....Worth It ?

Hobie H Crate, Yakattack Blackpack, WS Kayak Krate to name a few. All well made with tons of features and mounting options. All have price tags well North of $100.Worth It? I hear a lot of guys saying that they a) love their crate and that they b) feel like they overpaid for what, in the end is a plastic crate.  Likes, dislikes?  DIY  crate just as good? 

T

I bought the Hobie H -crate mainly because I fly to Florida and this breaks down and fits in the luggage. Rent a Hobie in a Florida or any kayak really and you are good to go. 

Staples and other places offer great file crates sturdy for years of kayak fishing. Another worthy store if you have one in your area is, “The Container Store.” For the do it yourself kayak angler or even rigging a vehicle for organizing this place is the ****. 

Edited by The Riddler

I know I'm in the very small minority, but I took a dog food container and made a "crate" out of it.  I added lashing points, a handle and a rod holder.  Standard size plano boxes fit in no problem and there is a ton of space for other stuff.  For me, the best feature is that it's basically a giant dry box.  So I can fish in the rain or take major waves and gear stays clean and dry.

4340-1.png

For me, the crate is 90% rodholder and holder of planos, plus water bottles and a few other items like gulp, or lunch if I don't have a cooler. Doesn't need to be fancy. Actually, almost as important is keeping together all the random crap from the boat in the car, like pliers, scissors, leader, battery, Scotty. An Ikea bag for PFD & seat, plus the crate, and that accounts for most of the loose gear.

596132ebd372a_DSCF2968_modified_thjaws.jpg.54f6df600ddedb8d38daa884501a433a.jpg

I would love to buy an H-Crate. Is it worth it?.... that’s really up to you. I found a DIY that I think is pretty awesome and works well. Here is the one I built.

9278493B-9B3B-45DC-8FE6-329AAE964544.png

I have a 2019 Outback so my tackle boxes get strapped down. But it’s good for holding misc. stuff. I do like the built in rod leashing capability of the H-Crate though.

Edited by Pma531

In the salt I fish 2 rods, no crate. I cram a day's worth of plugs into the rectangular hatch bucket  of my OB. Works. In freshwater, different story. I love the variety of techniques (for LMB) and fish them all. Usually bring 4 rods minimum.This is my 1st freshwater season for the OB (moving on from my OT Kingfisher canoe) so some kind of crate with rod holders seems to make sense. Probably will go the DIY route for now. 

I had a milk crate for years and it was fine.   Just cuz I felt like it and had money to burn, I bought a Hobie crate for the first time and will get the soft cover for it so this way I won't lose things if my 2019 Outback ever capsizes.  I'll let you know later in the season if it's worth it.   It helped I got a $25 discount even though it was brand new (shhh!).

Edited by GeoffT

19 hours ago, kevbo1756 said:

I tried going lighter last year, I don't even bring a crate anymore. I can't imagine spending over $100 on a crate, I rather buy new fishing gear with that money, but I never had a fancy crate lol so....

I built one that has every bell and whistle the fancy crates have

And I never use it. Turns out simpler is better (everyone who knows me is laughing right now, I over complicate everything!)

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962