secampb1

strongest fly line loops

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

Just out of curiosity, does anyone think that the same thing could be accomplished with a strand of backing for the back end of the fly line?  On the front end I could see the transfer of energy suffering but on the running end I would think it would be fine.  It's the same concept as a reverse blind splice just nail knotted to the line so I would think it could work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SeabassLove said:

 

This is how I do mine on all my flylines and never had any issues!

thanks for sharing, I like this method but haven't made any myself yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look in to paracord related brands as nylon braided sleeves.

also wiring sleeves.

miracle airflow and cortland runs this braided also. You should be able to find it at the end of each season used cheap on BST forums online or the auction site.

best 

Viete

 

 

 

CC8EE1B2-43C4-4CA1-886E-7C96BA6038B8.jpeg

687259BD-4CE0-4DE7-BB19-81CC0BAB8344.jpeg

59BB4A8A-7A74-4192-A044-74CA68F1E87E.jpeg

43FAE9EB-9DDF-4B6C-95A1-2300DBEFE564.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for all our billfish lines and rigs we make loops with 50 pound Dacron   never had an issue 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Vieteiro said:

Look in to paracord related brands as nylon braided sleeves.

also wiring sleeves.

miracle airflow and cortland runs this braided also. You should be able to find it at the end of each season used cheap on BST forums online or the auction site.

best 

Viete

 

 

 

CC8EE1B2-43C4-4CA1-886E-7C96BA6038B8.jpeg

687259BD-4CE0-4DE7-BB19-81CC0BAB8344.jpeg

59BB4A8A-7A74-4192-A044-74CA68F1E87E.jpeg

43FAE9EB-9DDF-4B6C-95A1-2300DBEFE564.jpeg

i saw some of this online but i was unsure of the strength and size and whether in fact it would work the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bhorsley said:

for all our billfish lines and rigs we make loops with 50 pound Dacron   never had an issue 

does this material work the same way as the nylon braid?  any particular type you've bought?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, secampb1 said:

does this material work the same way as the nylon braid?  any particular type you've bought?

yes it works the same---make your loop and then slide the piece on the fly line and serve the end on the fly line with floss.  The same way big game anglers make wind on leaders. 

The new RIO Billfish head has loops and they have been fine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bhorsley said:

yes it works the same---make your loop and then slide the piece on the fly line and serve the end on the fly line with floss.  The same way big game anglers make wind on leaders. 

The new RIO Billfish head has loops and they have been fine.  

Good to know thanks for the input

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Cortland material is still available in 100' spools in 30 and 50lb. I recently picked up another spool of 30lb.  Can't remember where but I will look it up.  I use 30lb dacron for backing and make a blind splice loop in that to connect to the back end of the fly line.  Very clean loop to loop connection.  You can also use heavier hollow braid (Jerry Brown).  Guessing 80 or 100lb.  Problem is it is expensive however once you settle the right size (weight) the spool will last you a life time.  I use the 80lb with a 100lb mono leader threaded inside.  Spinning reel, sharks. Super strong and no knots.

 

Just looked it up!  Check out Red Shed Fly Shop.  Website is not awesome but the owner is and they have great customer service.

Edited by qecfly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I can see on big auction site....Butt Leader Gudebrod Braided Mono in 35 and 50 lb, is a coil of 10 yards,orange color.  drawde49 is seller name from Ocoee ,Florida....That's the good stuff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2019 at 5:16 PM, qecfly said:

Cortland material is still available in 100' spools in 30 and 50lb. I recently picked up another spool of 30lb.  Can't remember where but I will look it up.  I use 30lb dacron for backing and make a blind splice loop in that to connect to the back end of the fly line.  Very clean loop to loop connection.  You can also use heavier hollow braid (Jerry Brown).  Guessing 80 or 100lb.  Problem is it is expensive however once you settle the right size (weight) the spool will last you a life time.  I use the 80lb with a 100lb mono leader threaded inside.  Spinning reel, sharks. Super strong and no knots.

 

Just looked it up!  Check out Red Shed Fly Shop.  Website is not awesome but the owner is and they have great customer service.

Awesome thanks for the info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never had an issue with factory loops on a fly lines. I believe when they first started adding welded loops there were some issues but they stepped up the loops and I have not heard off any issues in a long.

 

I will agree that sometimes we have to replace a factory loop or add one to to a new line that did not have one.

 

It is not that hard to add a loop, I just use a nail knot tool and 10 lb mono and cover the knots with flex cement, this one is 5 years old and still looks like new.

 

P1050250.JPG.62fe6500de7be0540c030c953c69d35a.JPG

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/27/2019 at 11:55 PM, secampb1 said:

thanks for sharing, I like this method but haven't made any myself yet

This is the right way of making a double catch reverse none slip loop. Unfortunately its not in english but the illustration is very clear. The method shown in the other video posted leaves you with a simple splice loop that's not locked in and it produces a double walled sleeve over the fly line and that's very significant even in #35lb mono braid and especially with #50lb mono braid. The method illustrated in this video only has double wall thickness over the first 1/2" of fly line and you can also alternatively just butt the fly line to the inside tag end instead of of sleeving it over the fly line tip and just sleeve the running portion of the loop without compromising its strength of function.

I choose not to insert the fly line tip inside the short portion of the tag end, instead I just butt up to it for a more streamline finish.

Edited by sidelock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 mins ago, sidelock said:

This is the right way of making a double catch reverse none slip loop. Unfortunately its not in english but the illustration is very clear. The method shown in the other video posted leaves you with a simple splice loop that's not locked in and it produces a double walled sleeve over the fly line and that's very significant even in #35lb mono braid and especially with #50lb mono braid. The method illustrated in this video only has double wall thickness over the first 1/2" of fly line and you can also alternatively just butt the fly line to the inside tag end instead of of sleeving it over the fly line tip and just sleeve the running portion of the loop without compromising its strength of function.

I choose not to insert the fly line tip inside the short portion of the tag end but just but up to it for a more streamline finish.

Good info thanks so much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.