secampb1

strongest fly line loops

Rate this topic

53 posts in this topic

I've been dabbling with different ways to add a loop to my fly lines.  When they come with the loop I will usually just use it but I still don't know that I trust them fully.  Plus, I like the orvis lines and a lot don't have the rear end loop so I need to add one anyway.  I have done just a single strand of strong mono nail knotted to the line with a non slip loop, I've done the folded over fly line with multiple nail knots, I've done the folded over fly line with bobbin thread, super glue and uv resin and I know of the braided loop method but I prefer to make things myself vs buying premade loops and I can't easily find the braided mono that I would need.  First off, what is everyone's take?  Also, hypothetically if I were fighting tarpon or GTs is there one method that you would trust over the others?  Are there drawbacks to any of the above if they are done properly?

Thanks

I have caught lots of big fish (100# tarpon; 60# roosters) and I have never had a problem with one of the welded loops pulling out.  If I get some abrasion on a welded loop, I will take it back to my local fly shop and they will weld another.  If I can't do that, I add my own braided mono loop, since I have lots of the braided mono and pre-made loops. 

22 mins ago, Fisheye said:

I have caught lots of big fish (100# tarpon; 60# roosters) and I have never had a problem with one of the welded loops pulling out.  If I get some abrasion on a welded loop, I will take it back to my local fly shop and they will weld another.  If I can't do that, I add my own braided mono loop, since I have lots of the braided mono and pre-made loops. 

where did you buy the braided mono?  I can't find it

Homemade double catch loops with braided 50# mono are nearly indestructible You can find instructions with pictures on the Blanton website. Cortland and Gudebrod both make braided mono.

7 mins ago, Strat said:

Homemade double catch loops with braided 50# mono are nearly indestructible You can find instructions with pictures on the Blanton website. Cortland and Gudebrod both make braided mono.

I had been reading that they both stopped making it.  Can it still be ordered?

Gudebod you can still find if you look around. If you can’t find any let me know and I will see if I can send you some.  Not sure how much is on my roll??

Search around and you’ll be able to find braided mono for making loops.

The loops last a long time so a spool will likely last you a lifetime.

SF

2 hours ago, secampb1 said:

Send me a PM with an address and I'll mail you a bunch.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, secampb1 said:

I still have a little Gudebrod 50# left from years ago.  A couple of years ago I also bought a spool of 50# butt leader manufactured by a company called Fordham  and Wakefield from England.  It is almost as good as Gudebrod.   This is the best direction I know of for making double trap braided loops.  http://www.*********.com/blog/getting-looped/    The site will not allow a completed link.  Google Dan Blanton getting looped.

Edited by Fisheye

8 hours ago, stormy monday said:

I got the 35# Gudebrod last year at Angler's Roost.

I checked their site and they aren't taking orders now...thanks for the tip though

7 hours ago, 27conch said:

Gudebod you can still find if you look around. If you can’t find any let me know and I will see if I can send you some.  Not sure how much is on my roll??

That's really nice of you, I'll do some more research and see.  Thanks

7 hours ago, mrl said:

Send me a PM with an address and I'll mail you a bunch.

I really appreciate the offer, I do feel bad though just taking the stuff from you.  Is it really that hard to come by?  If it is then I will likely take you up on it. Thank you