Sheisty

White Perch and other oceanic panfish

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I know some guys on here bobber them with or w/out bait, but I prefer to just jig 'em up with whatever color mister twister curly tail they like that day.  Saves time when yer looking to fill a cooler and the school could move or shut off at any time. A couple of different weight jig heads on rods, will quickly tell you the depth and color they prefer.

Unless I'm just fishing for fun. In that case I go full bore Bob Popovics and fly fish them for way fun.

Late September/ early October 2012 right before sandy  the one and only time I ever caught spot. I caught about a hundred in a few afternoons in the lagoon off the back of the boat and kept into the big bait pen to save for upcoming striper season. Unfortunately I never got to use em as you can guess why boat, house, and bait pen all destroyed. I’ve been fishing that lagoon my entire life and that’s the one and only time I ever caught spot

Sorry to hear you took such a loss, even to this day as I venture around I'm for a lack of a better word amazed at how much damage still remains unchanged.

I started "surf" fishing the spring after sandy. Raritan bay was flooded with all the oceanic panfish you could ever want (kingfish, spot, croaker, puffer etc). I was spoiled and thought this was the norm, small hooks and either fishbites are gulp extruded bloodworms was all I needed.. Next season they were around but not in the same numbers, then they disappeared.

Up in Bergen County you can have all the white perch you want almost exclusively on bait and of course they are no where near safe to eat but i've been told that the bucket brigades still take them for the table.  I can only imagine what it's doing to their kids :(.