Sheisty

White Perch and other oceanic panfish

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Why don't white perch make their presence known in MOCO like they do in southern NJ. Secondly, when was the last time folks were able to target spot, croaker, or kingfish in MOCO. From my experience they are nonexistent with an occasional bycatch here and there.

croaker runs the deleware bay. perch are all over the backwaters of the deleware bay. spot have really decreased in sj.  kingfish is caught out front of ac and south.

personally I think they all suck as table fare.  spot is good for striper candy.

all those fish are good for is taking the youngens in the back and let them have fun catching them.    1 guy on the other site catches perch buy the hundreds each year but he eats them.  seems he needs them to have something to eat but he also enjoys fishing for them.

2 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

croaker runs the deleware bay. perch are all over the backwaters of the deleware bay. spot have really decreased in sj.  kingfish is caught out front of ac and south.

personally I think they all suck as table fare.  spot is good for striper candy.

all those fish are good for is taking the youngens in the back and let them have fun catching them.    1 guy on the other site catches perch buy the hundreds each year but he eats them.  seems he needs them to have something to eat but he also enjoys fishing for them.

It makes for a good time when trying to get people who normally don't fish (kids/women) into fishing. Sort of like snapper fishing on light gear.

It seems like trying to catch them in the salt in moco is a complete waste of time. I know of several areas from OC and below where you can actually target  them, but nothing like that exists in moco anymore.

Fifty years fishing the same waters in mostly Ocean county, and I've never once caught a white perch in salt water. Easily thousands in brackish rivers. The other three (spot, croaker, kingfish ) the opposite. Only out in the bay/inlets/out front  etc. 

I have caught white perch in Deal Lake. 

And dont knock white perch as table fare. I love them, battered and fried w/some hot sauce and hush puppies :drool:  Kingfish eat good too, but I can fill my cooler w/perch in an afternoon versus just finding a few kingfish on the beach anymore :( 

And perch dont cost bait money either.

I told my self this year im not going to waste the time trying in Moco anymore and just head to OC. As far as white perch in OC, pm coming. 

26 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

And dont knock white perch as table fare. I love them, battered and fried w/some hot sauce and hush puppies :drool:  Kingfish eat good too, but I can fill my cooler w/perch in an afternoon versus just finding a few kingfish on the beach anymore :( 

And perch dont cost bait money either.

Throw in croakers to that mix and I'll make a fish fry for the whole block and everyone enjoys. 

54 mins ago, fishless said:

Throw in croakers to that mix and I'll make a fish fry for the whole block and everyone enjoys. 

we used to do that.  we would sit at the cement ship in cape may and fill coolers with them.  the neighbors even got tired of them.   I started donating them to the senior center up the road from me , but after a couple of times , they stopped me from donating as they would go to waste.     we did a cooler full of sea bass and to this day I still get asked when I will do that again. problem with that is I have to beg my boat mates to take there catch home with me.

I like to filet the perch and make fish tacos out of them. Last fall, i hit the kingfish in the delaware bay, all 12-14", all from the bank, and when I had enough for dinner I stopped. I was actually trying for croakers and didn't get any. Go figure. And I have problems finding kingfish on the beach up this way at times, too. Some think all the sunscreen in the water agitates them and they head off. IDK. I like the gulf kingfish because they are bigger than the northern kingfish. How far north do I have to go to find porgy from the bank?

I have been catching some humpback White Perch this year, best ever and I have been fishing here since my family bought a house here (Atlantic County/Absecon Island) in the early 70's. Kingfish(great eating and are great striper bait) have disappeared since they did the sand/dunes restoration. I used to like walking to the beach and bombing a long cast into the surf and bouncing it back, Kingfish would hammer it on every cast, now nothing. The fishing in general has the one to hell since Sandy. Wouldn't want to be getting into fishing, gonplay golf or something.

On 3/27/2019 at 11:51 AM, Sheisty said:

Why don't white perch make their presence known in MOCO like they do in southern NJ. Secondly, when was the last time folks were able to target spot, croaker, or kingfish in MOCO. From my experience they are nonexistent with an occasional bycatch here and there.

I would be very happy to see decent schools of spot in the wash. Been far too long. Those damn things are tasty.

How you guys catching these if they are suspended in the water column? I I’d love to catch a couple. Though I had them on the finder the other day.