Johnnystripahs

New to Beach Driving

45 posts in this topic

Surprised no one mentioned to drive steady with slow controlled starting, some folks like to give it too much gas out of the gate, may cause your truck to dig itself down instead of move it forward......

Cape sand is  coarser than  southern states.

As you start off in the -track- try staying in the track rather than rub the sides of the sand track.

7mph is a good speed to learn at in the track.

When ready to turn around gain a little more speed to get out of the track and make large circle to keep from getting stuck.

If you start to overheat drive to a spot were you can turn west and have the westerly breeze help cool you down.

Tall dunes will block a cool breeze when traveling close to the dunes.

If you can find a front and rear spot to use an old fashion bumper jack buy one.

We would jack up the stuck car as high as we could and then push it over side ways out of the track.

As far as tow rope get 1 .25" nylon tow rope about thirty ft. long.,10"x30" boards,short shovel and you should be good to go

In the past the wheel base of foreign cars were narrower than US cars at which point we would follow a US car for easier driving but I think that might have changed.

Your tire gage is your friend, have fun.

On 3/27/2019 at 2:39 PM, johnbull said:
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

If your car came with one of the little donut tires ditch it and get a full size spare.

To add on to this point. If you have a full size spare, USE IT. Do five tire rotations. Too many new spare tires or worse, non-matching spares. You'll have even wear on all of them and you'll know your spare is good since it was just on the vehicle within 5000 miles ago.

Driving on the beach is much easier than you think and after you do it once you will be fine. What beaches on the cape?

22 mins ago, Reed422 said:

Driving on the beach is much easier than you think and after you do it once you will be fine. What beaches on the cape?

Thanks Reed422, I was planning on getting the OVR permit this year for the national seashore and potentially the Sandy Neck area as well since our family has a house in mid cape area. Any suggestions would be much appreciated for a novice like myself! I heard Brewster flats just might not be worth it since you can only access at low tides

1 hour ago, Johnnystripahs said:

Thanks Reed422, I was planning on getting the OVR permit this year for the national seashore and potentially the Sandy Neck area as well since our family has a house in mid cape area. Any suggestions would be much appreciated for a novice like myself! I heard Brewster flats just might not be worth it since you can only access at low tides

Get permits for both beaches if you can. Then you usually have an option if one beach is closed due to plovers.  Sandy Neck gets insanely busy during the summer so I try to only go there on weekends during the spring and fall. It has become a big party beach over the last few years. It’s so busy that there is a possibility of doing a lottery system for permits next year. 

Air deflators are key going to sandy neck i put them on while im waiting in line to get to the access road , that way i dont have to stop to air down. Low tire pressure is the best thing you can do 12/15 psi will work great , get very busy comming off the beach to at air up stations , you can wait over a hr sometimes invest in a good on board compressor, if you want to save some time ! When you get home get a whirlybird sprinkler  and put it under your vehicle for a while rinse all that sand and salt off. Have fun be safe enjoy the new way to beach it !bring some firewood make a fire after dark with the kids its a blast

Anyone say binoculars? That's very important IMO. On huge tides the water can go up to the dunes at sandy neck got to be careful of that. Then again that's the best time to fish lol.

On 4/3/2019 at 3:57 PM, Johnnystripahs said:

No problem. Did my first year at Sandy Neck last year and enjoyed myself. I have a Jeep Wrangler and never felt like I could have a problem. Except maybe for some huge tides.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tire pressure is the key to driving on any sandy beach.  The lower the pressure the better it floats on top of the sand, tire deflators are great when paired with a good tire pressure gauge. Leave it in 4 hi and when driving in the heat of the summer watch your engine and transmission temps. First aid kit and a fire extinguisher is a must. Enjoy the beach and watch for holes that people and kids dig in the sand especially at night and in low light situations. I like to have a jump pack with me as well.

Have fun

Edited by Redrhino
Misspell

Redrhino is correct about engine and transmission temperatures.  If your truck/SUV doesn't have a towing package, it's good to add one to it.  This would include a transmission cooler which can help.