Johnnystripahs

New to Beach Driving

45 posts in this topic

Hi all!

Have been an avid surfcaster for some time now, but this year I plan on converting my older Toyota 4runner into a beach buggy. As I do not have any experience, I was hoping people could share their #1 piece of advice for beach driving and surfcasting (besides some of the more obvious answers such as tire pressure, carrying a shovel, not driving too close to waters edge, etc.) or something they know now that they wished they had known when first getting into it. I know all beaches can be quite different so want to mention this will be done exclusively on Cape Cod.

I was also hoping to look into some vehicle modifications for lure storage etc (I have a ski rack currently for rods). I am sure there are a plethora of previous threads discussing these types of things so if you have any handy send them over :) 

Thanks in advance!

A lotta folks around here make beach driving seems as difficult as piloting the space shuttle - it's not. My girlfriend drives on the beach all the time and she is one of the worst drivers on the road (beach). Be prepared, use common sense and when in doubt let some more air out of your tires.  You have an ideal beach vehicle so enjoy the ride - I certainly do. 

Best piece of advice - have a the phone number of a tow service in case you have a mechanical failure. Second best - bring two real shovels - not the crappy little folders and an extra for your buddy.

12 mins ago, Cpalms said:

A lotta folks around here make beach driving seems as difficult as piloting the space shuttle - it's not. My girlfriend drives on the beach all the time and she is one of the worst drivers on the road (beach). Be prepared, use common sense and when in doubt let some more air out of your tires.  You have an ideal beach vehicle so enjoy the ride - I certainly do. 

Best piece of advice - have a the phone number of a tow service in case you have a mechanical failure. Second best - bring two real shovels - not the crappy little folders and an extra for your buddy.

4 mins ago, ovenrat said:

stay off the "rotten" sand …..the ocean soaked sand near the wash !!!!!!!!

Thanks Guys!

Posted (edited) · Report post

The 4X4 beach access is just for getting all of your equipment

to where you want to fish. You now have the option to bring

more things. You're more comfortable spending the night.

You're not allowed to drive 20 mph. :)

Edited by SandSpike1

Good air compressor and proper shovels. Stuff to throw under your tires (plywood etc) incase you get hung up. The rest is common sense. 

Make sure your rig is in good working order. I had an issue once where my coolant got low and it took over an hour to hobble off the beach. I now carry a bottle in the back at all times.

Get a set of Staun deflators

Posted (edited) · Report post

Spoiler
Spoiler

Air down to 20psi and make sure you have the necessities- good shovels, piece of wood for a jack stand, good jack, and tow strap.  If your car came with one of the little donut tires ditch it and get a full size spare.  For the actual driving, keep your momentum going particularly in soft stuff and if your tires start to really spin go ahead and stop to dig before you bury yourself.  I'd imagine your 4Runner would be very good on the beach.  I've got an older model Pilot and it's pretty decent on the beach and that 4Runner would be more adept on the sand than the Pilot.

Edited by johnbull

i would go all out on carpet protection just because the sand is a pain in the butt. i would get a cargo liner as well as floor liners. It was one of my first regrets. I would also get a front hitch rack as soon as possible. My old buggy i took my time with everything and it took 3 years to get the way i wanted my knew one i will have deck out right away. 

22 mins ago, johnbull said:
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Air down to 20psi and make sure you have the necessities- good shovels, piece of wood for a jack stand, good jack, and tow strap.  If your car came with one of the little donut tires ditch it and get a full size spare.  For the actual driving, keep your momentum going particularly in soft stuff and if your tires start to really spin go ahead and stop to dig before you bury yourself.  I'd imagine your 4Runner would be very good on the beach.  I've got an older model Pilot and it's pretty decent on the beach and that 4Runner would be more adept on the sand than the Pilot.

If your tires start to spin, you need to remove more air. 20PSI is too much. Start at 18 and work your way down. 15PSI is typically a sweet spot. Dont make washboards for everyone else.

An addition to the post above is to never ever park below the high tide line. I’ve seen many idiots wait until the tide is almost touching their tires before they go to move and then find out their stuck, dead battery, etc.