mightyrime

New Rio intouch striper sink line annoyance

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I just purchased some new Rio in-touch striper 30' sink tip lines.  I purchased the 300g for my 8wt and the 450g for my 10wt.  After fishing these a bit on my rods they felt a bit too heavy for the rods.  So I rechecked the specs.  Unlike most sinking lines that have the g weight sinking head mostly attached to a shooting line the rio has a larger taper between the sinking portion and the running line that weighs an additional 50g!

 

so basically a 300g sinking line is 350g of weight casted and the 450g is actually 500g.  

 

No wonder it felt heavy!

 

They really should point that out more clearly in my opinion.  

 

Just a heads up if you are going to purchase this line.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried and have since sold the SA Tropical Titan Clear Tip - same thing. Way too heavy if you had more than 30ft out. Dumped like throwing a brick in too.

On a plus note the SA Sonar Sink 30 Clear 350gr casts great on my 10wt. I reckon these lines will be my go to for clear intermediates from now on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mightyrime said:

I just purchased some new Rio in-touch striper 30' sink tip lines.  I purchased the 300g for my 8wt and the 450g for my 10wt.  After fishing these a bit on my rods they felt a bit too heavy for the rods.  So I rechecked the specs.  Unlike most sinking lines that have the g weight sinking head mostly attached to a shooting line the rio has a larger taper between the sinking portion and the running line that weighs an additional 50g!

 

so basically a 300g sinking line is 350g of weight casted and the 450g is actually 500g.  

 

No wonder it felt heavy!

 

They really should point that out more clearly in my opinion.  

 

Just a heads up if you are going to purchase this line.

 

 

 

 

It is in there but I agree they do a poor job of letting you know the total head weight.  The 450gr is best on my 12WT so I can imagine a 10WT it would have been too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am glad that the line manufactures are starting to print the grain weight on their lines. Most helpful when one misplaces the box that they came in. 

Also, T&T rods are now rating their rods by grain weight which is another improvement.

FishHawk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FishHawk II said:

I am glad that the line manufactures are starting to print the grain weight on their lines. Most helpful when one misplaces the box that they came in. 

Also, T&T rods are now rating their rods by grain weight which is another improvement.

FishHawk

Respectfully, which line manufacturer is printing the grain weight? I'm looking for an eight weight intermediate with a clear tip that I can easily identify, when I become confused!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hit & miss on grain weights by manufacturer's. Try looking online, you can usually find the info on the newer fly lines but not so much on the older.  Though that does not address the issue the OP stated.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's hope that this is a new trend in marking fly lines. Most of the manufactures are using a color coding system for marking their lines which leads to confusion.

fishHawk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not saying you're wrong but there are lots of us out here who swear BY them, not AT them.  More time fishing, less time casting. :)

 

RIO OBS lines, and I believe the standard length OB also, have been above their marked weight historically.  That is one of the reasons why there are many fishermen/women who love them.  It is a simple matter to throw the short head of the OBS over your shoulder and snap out a 60 foot cast in order to keep your fly in water instead of fruitless false casting.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mightyrime said:

I just purchased some new Rio in-touch striper 30' sink tip lines.  I purchased the 300g for my 8wt and the 450g for my 10wt.  After fishing these a bit on my rods they felt a bit too heavy for the rods.  So I rechecked the specs.  Unlike most sinking lines that have the g weight sinking head mostly attached to a shooting line the rio has a larger taper between the sinking portion and the running line that weighs an additional 50g!

 

so basically a 300g sinking line is 350g of weight casted and the 450g is actually 500g.  

 

No wonder it felt heavy!

 

They really should point that out more clearly in my opinion.  

 

Just a heads up if you are going to purchase this line.

 

 

 

 

I own this same line but I thought I remember it saying that it was overweighted on the package, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, yarddog59 said:

Respectfully, which line manufacturer is printing the grain weight? I'm looking for an eight weight intermediate with a clear tip that I can easily identify, when I become confused!

Of these tasks identitying the line is very easy when you first measure 30ft of the head and weight it and write it down. Then when you get confused it takes two minutes to measure what line you have. Great doing this is that you know exactly what the line is in the first place ;) 

 

Good measures also are full head length and weight and weight of both halfs of the head which you can measure on cup holding line six inches out of cup rim horizontal so that length mark is three inches out. If line is thick there is possibility that you either increase or decrease scale reading if you press line down or lift it up but when this possibility is understood the reading comes very accurate.

 

Esa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mightyrime said:

I just purchased some new Rio in-touch striper 30' sink tip lines.  I purchased the 300g for my 8wt and the 450g for my 10wt.  After fishing these a bit on my rods they felt a bit too heavy for the rods.  So I rechecked the specs.  Unlike most sinking lines that have the g weight sinking head mostly attached to a shooting line the rio has a larger taper between the sinking portion and the running line that weighs an additional 50g!

 

so basically a 300g sinking line is 350g of weight casted and the 450g is actually 500g.  

 

No wonder it felt heavy!

 

They really should point that out more clearly in my opinion.  

 

Just a heads up if you are going to purchase this line.

 

 

 

 

I've been in touch with Rio about the same problem with their Leviathan lines. The way they mark some of their lines is misleading. The weight on their website is for the first 26feet and not the whole 33ish feet head. And there's usually a lot of weight at that last 7feet or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought a small digital scale ($25) so I no longer had to guess.  Can read in grains, grams, oz.  I  mark each line with the full head length in feet and actual weight in grains on the box and keep a running list.  All spey heads have a small tag inside the envelope with the length and weight in grains.

 

I do prefer using Airflo heads because they also list the weight and line type on the front of the head.  Some Airflo spey and skagit heads can weigh 4-5% over the listed weight.  For example, the 460 skagit extreme intermediate head is 480 (have two of them both same).  Newer Scientific Anglers integrated sinking lines have the information printed on the front tip but it is often very faint and hard to read.  However they (Sci Anglers) are more precise (marked weight = actual) in my experience.

 

Scientific Anglers Coastal Express line I own has that extended handling section as well.  It's a good line for cool to warmish weather but the handling section is thick and somewhat stiff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/03/2019 at 3:22 PM, Spigola said:

I'm not saying you're wrong but there are lots of us out here who swear BY them, not AT them.  More time fishing, less time casting. :)

 

RIO OBS lines, and I believe the standard length OB also, have been above their marked weight historically.  That is one of the reasons why there are many fishermen/women who love them.  It is a simple matter to throw the short head of the OBS over your shoulder and snap out a 60 foot cast in order to keep your fly in water instead of fruitless false casting.

 

 

Spigs

 

Some guys can cast and can get away a long belly fly line just as fast as a short head line. Guys that struggle to cast well,will most likely end up making multiple false casts with a 30 foot head.

 

I am very polarised as regards head lengths as are others. Short head lines I just happen to,dislike immensely. I also dislike lines which are 1 or even 2 up on what they say they are..

 

Mikey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.