Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thebandman

525 mag mods

7 posts in this topic

I'm trying to modify my 525 into a killing machine, specifically for bigger species of fish, including sharks and rays. I like the feel of the 525 while casting, which is why I haven't moved to a torque and modified it for the beach or to another brand. I have switched out the handle with a torque handle, but it has me thinking, what other parts from the torque can be put into this reel? I would like to have more adjustment to the star and maybe a bit more drag if possible. It's a shame they don't make a versa gear for this reel. I understand that this is a bit of a long shot but I just wanted some input. Thanks

Bandman, keep in mind as you attempt to increase the recommended max drag, the frame and side plates are graphite.  I don't want your "killing machine" to have the foot ripped off the reel.

tony

6 hours ago, PENN Fishing said:

Bandman, keep in mind as you attempt to increase the recommended max drag, the frame and side plates are graphite.  I don't want your "killing machine" to have the foot ripped off the reel.

tony

That is also what I was thinking. I wasnt sure if it was possible to increase the drag but I was cautious  because I've had it happen before on a squall. Thank you

The only advantage i found over the Fathom is the chrome rod that allows you to squeeze  the line between your thumb and it to work a pencil popper. If you don't throw pencils, buy a Fathom 12 or 15. You'll love it, and I don't think you could rip the foot off without braking 50, 0r 65 pound braid.

I was able to crank the drag on my 525 to 22 pounds on a digital scale. It was a little bumpy there. I would never try that while standing on a rock though, unless someone I trusted was standing behind me, ready to catch me when the hook pulled out or the leader let go.

On 3/27/2019 at 7:33 PM, Stewie said:

The only advantage i found over the Fathom is the chrome rod that allows you to squeeze  the line between your thumb and it to work a pencil popper. If you don't throw pencils, buy a Fathom 12 or 15. You'll love it, and I don't think you could rip the foot off without braking 50, 0r 65 pound braid.

I was able to crank the drag on my 525 to 22 pounds on a digital scale. It was a little bumpy there. I would never try that while standing on a rock though, unless someone I trusted was standing behind me, ready to catch me when the hook pulled out or the leader let go.

I own 2 fathoms. They are pretty good reels for the money. The build quality on fathoms is nowhere near the torques or the 525 though. I have a 15ld2 torque and the build quality is impeccable. It just isn't the worlds best caster, I had the clicker ripped out to slow it down with a mag system.

I have  upgraded the handles of some of my 525s also. The only thing I can add is to use Cals drag grease on the 525's.   It makes the drag a lot smoother.  I also own a few fathom 15s that I fish.  Flawless drag right out of the box and can be turned into just as good of a casting reel.  Fighting big fish are not a problem on either one of these, I only use them fishing Bait from the beach.

It IS strange that the Torque star drags don't have any anti-backlash system, magnetic or cetrifugal. I've always wondered about that ... go figure.