Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dkthompson

Penn Slammer LiveLiner O-Ring Seals

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone out here has rebuilt a 560L or 760L Penn Slammer reel.

I had purchased some replacement parts about 3 different times and each time the o-rings around the liveliner switch appeared to be much smaller that the ones I had taken out.  Unfortunately, I no longer have the original o-rings.

I had this problem a while ago and had gone out on my own to find a substitute o-ring and was successful.  Apple Rubber makes an o-ring which works well.

I went out on my own because I had spoken with someone from Penn, quite a while ago and not Tony, and they told me that the new o-ring I got was correct.  I didn't agree.

When you look at the new o-ring under some magnification, you can see the shaft of the liveliner switch and the o-ring doesn't even touch the switch to create a seal.  Also the new o-ring sits in the recess pocket of the housing which the shaft protrudes from.  I don't even think the diameter of the material extends past the outer reaches of the recess pocket in the reel housing.

Just wondering if anyone else had noticed this and if you did what info were you able to find.

I have just recently contacted Tony, from Penn, and given him this info which he's looking into.  Great guy!  Also have sent him the reel so he can see what I'm talking about.

I will update what I get back for info from Tony but am curious about info you all have.

Thanks for listening.

Let us know what the result is, when you and Tony are done.  And, yes, he's a great guy. I like all the Penn people who appear on this site.  

13 hours ago, dkthompson said:

I have just recently contacted Tony, from Penn, and given him this info which he's looking into.  Great guy!  Also have sent him the reel so he can see what I'm talking about.

I will update what I get back for info from Tony but am curious about info you all have.

Thanks for listening.

DK,

Thanks for stopping by the booth last week, remind me did you purchase the reel new or used?  Thanks

tony

Nice to hear from you Tony.

I had purchased a 560L and 760L new.

I sent my 760L out to you this past sunday as 2 day priority.  You should be receiving it soon.

My 560L was stolen from me while fishing in RI but had the same issue.

Thanks a bunch!

I got my reel back from Penn service center.

Although the O-Rings that were used on the liveliner switch appear to be the same small ones I'd gotten in replacement kits before, the reel appears to work awesome.  Good as new.

I have extra O-Rings, of the slightly bit larger size, for the liveliner switch, which I've installed.  I will probably continue to just send it to Penn for freshening up.  The service was extremely quick.  About a week and a half from time it left me to the time I got it back.

Thank you to Tony for the great and speady service.