Small jigging reel recomdation

Rate this topic

Hard to go wrong with a Daiwa Saltist level wind. I have the 4 or 5000 model, but the lower model numbers might fit the bill for you. I used mine jigging in 40-80 ft of water and when I was dialed in to the drift and tide, brought lots of gators and a few stripers over the side. I have no doubt with 50 lb braid it would work well at greater depths as well. 

I use a small Avet.  Can't recall the model.  I have 20-pound braid on it, and use it for jigging and sometimes for dropping baits back to mahi.  Had a decent hammerhead take a mahi bait a couple of years ago and the reel did fine, so it should treat you pretty well.

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams

On 3/26/2019 at 5:00 PM, justablur91 said:

Just picked up a Tsunami slow pitch jogging rod and looking for a small jigging reel to pair, mainly jigging bass and bottom fishing fluke etc, would like something under $300 maxel, tsunami forged 

I have this rod paired with a Maxel HY20 and it's great for fluke/sea bass/porgies.  You start to stretch it a bit when jigging for blues and bass (although mine has pulled up it's fair share of schoolies and cocktail blues).  When I hit the heavier water, I move to a Lami 7030 with either an Avet SX or a Saltiga.  Not that I've ever hit a point where the first combo would fail me, it just seems a bit too light for that purpose.

The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

16 hours ago, justablur91 said:

How do you like the maxel? I been looking at level drag reels but ive never used nor do i think i would really benefit from one for the fishing that I do. Seigler is coming out with a new sgn star drag for the same price as the maxel hy20. 

There was a pretty big thread on the Main Forum a few days ago on the Maxel.  Seems that opinions in general are mixed, maybe earlier models had some issues.

I like the reel very much.  So much so that my son kept taking mine, so I bought another.  That thread also mentions another reel I use quite a bit, the Saltiga, which is also available in a star drag.

The Maxel paired with that slow pitch rod is pretty deadly at lighter weights.  I can bounce small bucktails in skinny water and feel every tap.  The weight of the setup is awesome, and the thumb bar release is perfect for when I'm jigging over rapidly changing structure.  

It's a small reel though, so I tend to pair it with my lighter rods.  I did put it on a heavier rod once but we happened to be catching small fish on average, but it held up to schoolie bass and blues just fine.  Would it be my go-to for diamond jigging with 8 oz in a fast rip?  No, but it's hard to find one reel that's so versatile.  In this case, I can fish all day with one hand very easily with no fatigue.

The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

• 1 month later...