Custom rod built specific to spool diameter...

Rate this topic

DEM Parking Lot

Do not use the other reel. The difference in the size will cause a singularity to form and the the entire planet will be sucked in to a blackhole. Other very bad things might also happen. It’s just not worth it. 

Seriously, it should be fine. Try it and see but you’re talking about a freakin 0.25”. It shouldn’t matter at all. 

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

Do not use the other reel. The difference in the size will cause a singularity to form and the the entire planet will be sucked in to a blackhole. Other very bad things might also happen. It’s just not worth it. 

Seriously, it should be fine. Try it and see but you’re talking about a freakin 0.25”. It shouldn’t matter at all. 

LOL good to know.  I just had to make sure that the rod wouldn't self-destruct or spontaneously combust into flames when casting it.

1 hour ago, marty_mccarty said:

No worries at all, go for it. The only time you'd really run into trouble is going to a dramatically different sized reel on a rod with a particularly aggressive guide set up. 

Thanks for the response, Marty!

I build my own rods, generally matched to a specific reel but I have swapped reels many times without issue. Going to a smaller size is almost guaranteed to be a sure thing. Going bigger, you can run into issues if the difference is big enough. I do not consider 1/4" to be much at all.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

Bigger surf reels such as a penn 704, vs 250, mitchell 302, use a formula that put the first guide so far out that there is a lot of room for variation. More modern reels like shimano and daiwa use a different formula that might put the first guide in a bit closer. There is still room for variation but it might not be as much. In addition to spool diameter, the distance of the spool from the rod counts just as much as does the angle of the shaft in relation to the rod. 

You could have a 2.5" spool sitting 3 inches off the blank with a 3 degree angle. Another reel with a 1.75" spool sitting 3.75 inches off the blank with a straight shaft might put the guides in a very similar position.

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

P.s. those numbers are totally made up, so I don't wanna hear "he said this would work and it doesn't.

Like drew said, there is room for variation within reason. The only way your probably gonna have problems is sticking a crack 300 on a rod designed for a shimano 2500 and even then it will sorta work. Just not great.

the human race has proved darwins theory of evolution wrong. we let the dumb survive. 

32 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I build my own rods, generally matched to a specific reel but I have swapped reels many times without issue. Going to a smaller size is almost guaranteed to be a sure thing. Going bigger, you can run into issues if the difference is big enough. I do not consider 1/4" to be much at all.

Drew, just to further your point and for fyi, I have a rod built for a penn torque 5 ( 2 5/16" spool, 3 5/8" shaft height) and have slapped a crack 300 on there ( 3" spool, 3 1/4 spool height). That's 9/16" bigger spool and 5/16" spool height difference. It worked without problems. Only difference was casting distance however the torque has 20lb slick 8 and the crack has 65lb powerpro, so a direct comparison it is not but I was not getting line slap or wind knots.

Today they worry about spool size and guide placement .  Do you think our fathers worried about that?  They bought a rod off the shelf and fished it?  They fished with spinning reels upside down? They fished with cane poles? 

The average guy is not going into a casting tournament . Your fishing? 

The Rod makers and guide suppliers love it.  Same with plugs?  you can use a 50 cent paddle tail or a 125 dollar lure ?   OVER THINKING 

1 hour ago, ccb said:

Today they worry about spool size and guide placement .  Do you think our fathers worried about that?  They bought a rod off the shelf and fished it?  They fished with spinning reels upside down? They fished with cane poles? 

The average guy is not going into a casting tournament . Your fishing? 

The Rod makers and guide suppliers love it.  Same with plugs?  you can use a 50 cent paddle tail or a 125 dollar lure ?   OVER THINKING 

They were mouth breathing, knuckle dragging savages tho

The stripper guide (closet to reel) size and placement are the governing factors that allow the line to clear the guide without knots. As mentioned above, most times there is plenty of flexibility in the layout to allow a variety of reel sizes.

One of my personal favorites from our forefathers is the use of a trigger spincast or baitcast rod with a spinning reel .... extremely small guides and a built in spike to make fishing totally uncomfortable.

Don't stop ... Retrieving ...

With the NGC concept,  they can use  any reel today.  No big deal.   They did it with COF   ?   It will work 

Years back they would worry about the spline. ?   Today they don’t even care ?