Craiger12

Jigging Reel Question?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

For those of you guys using the smaller narrow spool non-levelwind jigging reels like the Daiwa Saltiga/Saltist 10/15 and the Shimano Torium 14 - do you find that you constantly need to thumb the line or does it seem to spool somewhat evenly on its own due to the spool being so narrow? 

I do find myself thumbing the line, but I don't have to do it as much due to the narrow spool. It honestly depends on how much line is out/how deep I'm fishing. Less line out = no need to thumb the line.

7 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

I do find myself thumbing the line, but I don't have to do it as much due to the narrow spool. It honestly depends on how much line is out/how deep I'm fishing. Less line out = no need to thumb the line.

I figured the amount of line out would be a factor as well. I'm wondering if I'm fishing a Saltiga 10H in less than 30' of water if I can get away with not having to worry about it. 

Provably , 30' shouldn't bunch up on spool enough to create an issue . I would still thumb guide , line ,but to each their own . If it was an issue for you why didn't I just get a line guide reel like a Lexa ? 

1 hour ago, Capt. Lou said:

Provably , 30' shouldn't bunch up on spool enough to create an issue . I would still thumb guide , line ,but to each their own . If it was an issue for you why didn't I just get a line guide reel like a Lexa ? 

My issue is that I just picked up the new Tekota 501HG and it's a little bigger and wider than I like. I was looking for something a little narrower that I can palm more comfortably and would feel more comfortable on the retrieve. I want to be able to palm the reel with my right hand and retrieve with my left so I won't really be able to thumb the line at all. I have a Lexa 300 on another rod and love it, but I was looking for a heavier duty reel for trolling and heavier jigging and casting from my kayak. I think the Tekota is growing on me the more I hold it though and I will likely keep it.

In this case though I would have to use the thumb of the hand that is palming the reel. Might be doable if the reel is small enough, but would prob be a bit challenging.

3 hours ago, ksong said:

I automatically do thumbing whenever I use conventional reels.

It is not difficult to learn. 

Embarrassed to admit, that I do it even if the reel has a level wind... doh!