Matt Szwagulinski

Worm Prices

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Honestly just curious as to why worms are so expensive. Specifically bloods and sand worms. I see them going for 12-14$ a dozen at this point. Hard for me to think that each worm is a buck. That being said I buy and use them as needed. Anyways I am curious... where do the shops get the worms from... are there not a lot of them...are the labor costs of “getting” them high...?

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

For your viewing pleasure............

Thank you Joey. Well it looks like my question  has been answered. Low stocks, labor is manual and they have to be shipped to us. Makes sense. 

Edited by Matt Szwagulinski

Those are GIGANTIC compared to what we are getting. I don't mind pay the price, but when your worm are shorter than your dollar bill fully stretched and still count as one, something is wrong. During peak porgie season,  it shrink even more.

I don't fish much at this time of year, so the only time of year that I buy bloods is when I want to catch some sheepshead.  Every time I go I have such a hard time shelling out the 10-13 bucks per dozen.  I can't complain... They do catch fish.   

27 mins ago, The Salty Fisherman said:

I don't fish much at this time of year, so the only time of year that I buy bloods is when I want to catch some sheepshead.  Every time I go I have such a hard time shelling out the 10-13 bucks per dozen.  I can't complain... They do catch fish.   

Agreed. 

I had a guy from Maine in my B&T last year where Bloods come from.He was telling me  The process of harvesting Bloodworms in labor intensive. Most people have to work both low tides in a day to be able to make a living doing it.Then they have to be shipped immediately down here to  ensure they live long enough to be able to sell them before they die.Last year there were times when the worms were so small I had to give people 2 dozen for the price of one. It a "break-even" situation at best for me selling them.

8 mins ago, AlwaysWading said:

I had a guy from Maine in my B&T last year where Bloods come from.He was telling me  The process of harvesting Bloodworms in labor intensive. Most people have to work both low tides in a day to be able to make a living doing it.Then they have to be shipped immediately down here to  ensure they live long enough to be able to sell them before they die.Last year there were times when the worms were so small I had to give people 2 dozen for the price of one. It a "break-even" situation at best for me selling them.

Thanks for that insight. I am definitely more educated on this now. 

I just can't do it. I can't spend that kind of money on worms lol. 

For that money I can buy 2 SP minnows that I'll have forever, or til a blue bites it off or I cast it off because of a crappy knot, whichever comes first haha. 

8 mins ago, Danny1199 said:

I just can't do it. I can't spend that kind of money on worms lol. 

For that money I can buy 2 SP minnows that I'll have forever, or til a blue bites it off or I cast it off because of a crappy knot, whichever comes first haha. 

yes thats my "logic". 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I only really use worms in the river because I think that's what I'm supposed to do LOL. It's usually not an open beach so it would probably be more trouble that it's worth to plug, plus theres rocks and tree trunks and tires and whatnot out there. I'm kind of curious to try a lure now though. Especially if I run into the perch.

Edited by hurricane1091